Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ashtray-cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the first one Dsalillas posted, it's a great piece.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:07 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it's not. I was gonna say Dsalillas, there is no drilling involved with the one I have, it uses the existing hole and screw on the right side of the console. That $15 one obstructs the passenger seat.
That blue one looks kinda ugly IMO, I don't want that much attention drawn to my cupholder.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Predator
Pro

Check with 944online, They have the ashtray-cupholder conversion.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would really like to find someone to make a new factory glove-box door cup holder- the factory ones were too shallow....

Tim- are you aware of the ones on the backside of the glove-box door? I'm not sure if pre-85.5's had them, is why I ask...

Anyway, I have a Turbo S & it has the ugly-*** air bag warning label- I got a regular cup-holder back to replace it with- it screwed on fine, but, the door wouldn't close- it's a HAIR too wide- the edges that fit into the box itself- they just stick out ~1/8" too far & you don't know it till it's too late... I would like someone to make a duplicate of the backside of the door, only thicker- this way the cup holder could be made deeper- I'd say 2" total inches thick would work- the depth of the holders would be ~1.75" & that would be plenty, OR, the holes could go all teh way through to the bare back of the door- it's flat- of course, I would want the trim to look good around hte edges so it would be finished, but... Anyway, the glove box is deep enough to house one much deeper- this way you could have two cup holders, if you don't mind having the door open- of course, most people would need to "upgrade" to the steel glove box arms- I just recently did this myself, as the plastic ones broke & I'm sure two drinks, in early morning traffic, while having breakfast, on the way to a meeting, running late, alll dressed up, would be the PERFECT time to find out the plastic ones finally expired...

Anyone here able to mold something like this, OR, "modify" a factory one? I can't imagine this being TOO difficult for someone who can work w/carbon fibre, fiber glass, or plastic, etc, but, I've asked here before & haven't gotten much response- I'm sure there are some people here who could do this... I know it wouldn't be a big money maker, but... Anyone?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The piece in dsalillas post is available from ImagineAuto. It isn't listed on the website, but e-mail Stephen Kreutzer, he'll get you the info. He goes by Arctic Czar on the list.
skreutzer@imagineauto.com
I have one in my '88 951, and it works nicely. I really like the clean look of no armrest the best.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made my own.

I took an old ashtray, removed the ashtray part and then slowly sanded away just enough of the opening to allow a soda can to fit.

I keep it in the door side pocket and switch it out with the real ashtray whenever I need to use it.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Dunno what eshane is talking about...I have a couple friends that make custom CF parts for cheap! Please don't e-mail me about it, they don't make 944 stuff yet. lol.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Hawk36
Racer

I like the idea of not having a cup holder. It drives my wife crazy knowing she can't bring drinks into my car.
Porsches were built to drive in not eat in.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Most of the cupholders I have seen either bolt on or clip onto the side somewhere...

Or the take up half of that console where my right arm lays.....

Since I have an Auto......I just want to put one where the ashtray is....

I suppose I'll probably end up eventually fabricating something
Old 03-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

I also found that cupholder from the english ebay. the website is www.prestigeparts.co.uk They are expensive, but they look like a nice piece IMO. Also some other sweet int. parts, but again, very expensive.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:06 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are some nice interior accents, some of the nicest I've seen...too bad the prices are in pounds, makes it too expensive...

Quick Reply: ashtray-cupholder