Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member asking for advice; allignment, rubbing sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 PM
jimbo22s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member asking for advice; allignment, rubbing sound

Brand new to this site. Spent a couple of hours reading the posts and find the fellowship outstanding. Congratulations on creating and maintaining a superb forum!

Please provide your input on these two issues regarding a 1985 944 with 88k.

A high pitched, short duration 'rubbing' sound when cornering or after braking. Sounds like it's coming from the rear. Brake pad loose? Warped rotor?

Extreme wear in the inside of the tires, particularly the fronts. Will an alignment cure this? Can any shop complete this alignment, or does the car need a weight load?

Thank you. I look forward to your feedback.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 4 wheel alingment. It should cure the tire wear issues. also have them check wheel bearings- this will cause a grinding during cornering at speed and also cause odd tire wear. Normally inside tire wear on the fronts only indicates a suspension issue- tie rods, ball joints.

Your tires may have been rotated and the excessive wear is only at the front or rear but the tires wore with the problem-- showing bad inside tread depth on all four.

Jack the car up and wiggle the front tire from side to side, then top to bottom. If slack is noticed up and down- it's wheel bearings. side to side will be front suspension parts. Look for what is sloppy while someone else wiggles the tire.

Oh, Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 PM
jimbo22s
Advanced

Thank you for the reply!

Can most any shop complete the alignment or do I need to take it to the dealer?

I should also mention that the car pulls to the left.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Most likely the alignment. Personally, I'd take it to your local Firestone store. But that is just MY opion. Seriously though, most of the shops have a very competent alignment tech and a very sophisticated Hunter computer that allows acurate alignments.

With the 944 they should first adjust the ride heigth, but that is a point of varying opinion. They should also check the front end parts, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends.

Go with the lifetime alignment service, price varies, but it's worth it.

Quick Reply: New member asking for advice; allignment, rubbing sound