Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this an euro 944 on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:29 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks interesting!

I do have to wonder, though...I know many VW/Audi enthusiasts (myself being one of them) who buy Euro parts from ppl overseas and convert the cars to full Euro spec as far as the naked eye is concerned.

Things like bumpers, turn sigs/sidemarkers, and gauges are cheap and easy to do.

Don't judge based on the sidemarkers or bumper if it's a Euro or not...that might not mean anything at all! Someone in the past could have tried to make it look Euro!

Either way...I'm not interested in an auto, but heck, if it stays that cheap, it wouldn't be a bad daily driver!
Old 03-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no kidding. my car is currently getting the sidemarker delete works.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean,

Your observations are perfectly true for this car except the rear sidemarkers. The Euro/RoW cars don't have them, front or rear, whereas the U.S. cars have holes in the rear quarter panels to accommodate them.

As a general rule, smooth rear quarter panels (irrespective of the botched rear sidemarkers on this car) are indicative of a Euro/RoW car. Not many Euro 944 fanatics like Rich out there willing to modify their rear panels with bodywork surgery for purely aesthetic reasons.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Plus the VIN: WPOZZZ94ZEN406460

Thats ROW.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:37 PM
jgieswein
Track Day

well with the vin # my 84 944 has a WP0ZZZ...... number under the battery box and a WP0AA..... number on the windsheild, does that mean my car is a ROW with a US windsheild?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
Plus the VIN: WPOZZZ94ZEN406460

Thats ROW.
Or Euro

The windshield pillar number is strictly a U.S. assigned VIN. PCNA assigns codes to the zeds in the Euro/RoW chassis numbers e.g. C for cabriolet, B for airbags, etc.

AFAIK, all 944s were released from the factory with chassis numbers on the battery box. The windshield pillar VIN is only a PCNA thing, and Euro/RoW cars use only the chassis number for vehicle identification, with no other VIN on the windshield pillar.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:06 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not the European front bumper. The edges are too squared. Compare it to my euro spec car (germany)...

Someone probably imported this car during and whoever did the conversion did a crap job. Those rear quarter markers look horrible. Sure the engine has higher compression but it doesn't look like it has been cared for so I doubt it still has the extra 20hp.

ok...look at this picture of my US spec 944. It is almost the same angle of the Ebay car. That bumper is just a ugly US spec on in disguise!!! Also the US rear bumper was sold as an option here in Europe. It was sold as a "high impact rear bumper" or something along those lines.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:56 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Michael is right on the money. I thought the bumper looked "wrong".
it looks like they used the pads & lights from a euro bumper on a US bumper.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

If you read through the whole thread, I thought so also, but 97Xray and Rich suggest that some of the early RoW cars were produced with "in between" equipment featuring the U.S.-type aluminum bumper with integrated bumperettes and driving lights. Probably a Middle Eastern issue, as 97Xray's car was from Saudi.

Check out these examples listed on mobile.de (German used auto site). The blue one is hard to see, but the white car is just like the eBay car:

Old 03-28-2004, 09:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Sean,

Your observations are perfectly true for this car except the rear sidemarkers. The Euro/RoW cars don't have them, front or rear, whereas the U.S. cars have holes in the rear quarter panels to accommodate them.

As a general rule, smooth rear quarter panels (irrespective of the botched rear sidemarkers on this car) are indicative of a Euro/RoW car. Not many Euro 944 fanatics like Rich out there willing to modify their rear panels with bodywork surgery for purely aesthetic reasons.
Luis is right on. The rear quarters on this car(as I mentioned on page 1), and the VIN, indicate it is NOT a US spec car.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...this is very interesting..
Although on the ebay car it almost looks like someone took the us bumper pad and hacked it up into a square piece.
Did euro cars have different front bumpers for different years or for ROW? You can definitely see difference between Michael's car and the ones Luis posted...if the answer is yes, I'm very curious why they chose to do this...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 PM
MartinT
Pro

Hmmm...as to another country with MPH speedos (in adition to the US and Liberia) ...how about a little known area, known as the UK....

Admitedly the car would then be Right Hand Drive.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:01 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
some of the early RoW cars were produced with "in between" equipment featuring the U.S.-type aluminum bumper with integrated bumperettes and driving lights. Probably a Middle Eastern issue, as 97Xray's car was from Saudi.

Check out these examples listed on mobile.de (German used auto site). The blue one is hard to see, but the white car is just like the eBay car:
Wow, that is the first time I have seen those. Still, the car looks like a POS...
Old 03-29-2004, 04:27 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Definately an in between - I like that classification. I invite you all to come inspect my car, which is indeed an in between model (Suadi). My compression figure are outrageous (so I know it's the Euro engine, though it has no ID on it), my front bumper is aluminum, yada yada...
Interesting note: The official Porsche history on 944 serial number 00720 (#720 is my car) is that it was a special order. So maybe the special order cars that went to the "in-between" geographic markets are all a little different. An example: mine was originally equipped with FRONT side repeat blinkers, and still has them (and they work), but some euros were not equipped with these. Were US market cars?
I love the interest in my type of car, albeit "in-between".
Maybe now someone wants to offer me $20K for an 83 NA???

Quick Reply: Is this an euro 944 on ebay?