Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you John D for sticking up for us

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004 | 12:22 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking Thank you John D for sticking up for us

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning while I was reading the e-mail list summary. There was a thread of a bunch of folks who primarily frequent the e-mail list ripping on the Web Forums. Such things as how immature the folks who use the BBS seem to be in general and other things of that nature. John stepped up and supported the rabid enthusiasm of the Forum listers and I personally thank him for that.
Old 03-27-2004 | 12:29 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I use to post on the email lists, since i found these forums i haven't gone back to those in at least a year! We'll get those guys over here one by one...
-Erich

EDIT: Thanks John!
Old 03-27-2004 | 12:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I used to be an avid email-lister as well, but usually post here now.
I still read the email lists though.

Old 03-27-2004 | 01:00 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used to be an e-mail lister as well. I personally find the forums far more useful and more immediate. An individual can ask for help and two seconds later somebody will respond with advice AND pictures. You don't see that on the e-mail list. I also started using the forums almost exclusively when John first introduced them because they weren't as rife with pissing matches and flame wars like the e-mail list was. That has changed over time, but the irony is that was one of the gripes people were issuing about the BBS.
Old 03-27-2004 | 02:36 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Default Re: Thank you John D for sticking up for us

Originally posted by Manning
I couldn't believe my eyes this morning while I was reading the e-mail list summary. There was a thread of a bunch of folks who primarily frequent the e-mail list ripping on the Web Forums. Such things as how immature the folks who use the BBS seem to be in general and other things of that nature. John stepped up and supported the rabid enthusiasm of the Forum listers and I personally thank him for that.
I generally agree with what the e-mail guys said about maturity

*hides*
Old 03-27-2004 | 02:50 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Like Michael, Marc and others, I was much more active on the E-Mail lists for many years, but I've come to participate more in the forums probably for the immediacy of response and the sheer volume of information.

However, one thing I prefer about the E-Mail lists besides the many friends I've made there over the years, is that there is much less OT material than in the forums, regardless of the number of posts. Traditionally, OT in the lists has been reserved for Fridays and even though the BBS boards have a separate OT forum, I find way too much OT is posted in the 944 Forums than I find useful or appropriate.

At any rate, this forum is still the most active 944 site in the English language on Internet, and that's worth the "OT toll" for the most part.
Old 03-27-2004 | 03:53 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

E-mail lists are terrible.......Not a pro I can think of.....Con's are plentiful...
Old 03-27-2004 | 04:02 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with what was said to a point about maturity. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that the web forums are much easier to access and maneuver and has a MUCH MUCH larger group of participants. I do not think some of the holier than thou attitude that was implied in that thread was necessary though. There was a lot of stuff about how much crap info you get over here, and how you can't post any suggestions on the web forums without somebody getting in your face about, blahblahblah. Quite frankly I call BS on that perspective simply from the standpoint that I see that happen on the e-mail list as well. And I would hazard a guess that propotionally it happens as much there as it does here.

I remember several years ago warning Stephen Porter on the e-mail list that you have to take advice given with a grain of salt because (1) some of it is wrong, (2) some of it is based on very limited experience (3) some of it is based on personal preference/opinion. That holds true for all of us, whether on the forums or e-mail list. The feeling I got from some of the responses on the e-mail list is that for some reason they think are above that. Sorry to say folks, but you're not.
Old 03-27-2004 | 04:20 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

I find there's a lot more accurate and in depth information available from the folks on the email lists. I've also gotten much quicker reponses from email listers that are also accurate/experienced based.

The web boards have a lot of volume but a low signal/noise ratio.

After everything is said and done, I peruse the web boards the most but when I have a tough problem, it's not unusal to get the needed information from an email lister first.
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I wanted to mention, there were a couple others who stuck up for the forums, most notably Scott Harrison. Didn't mean to slight you all by not mentioning you too.
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:38 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

well, If they don't like us over here, they don't need to be over here, but have they run out of things to bitch about in the world? If they dont like it here, fine, sorry we don't appeal to you, but must you whine? whatever, call me immature, I'm not going to change.
~Eyal
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:55 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I subscribe to (but not partake in) the email list. I read what was said. I didn't take it as a big deal at all. Just some observations and opinions regarding some of the changes happening here at Rennlist. I don't believe for a minute, that anyone meant anything bad towards anyone in particular at all. You gotta remember that a lot of people just don't like change, and it takes a while for them to get used to it (especially us older folks...LOL). Yeah, I thought it was great that John D. voiced his observations and opinions of the changes taking place here! It kinda helps some of the rest of us to embrace it quicker and easier. Because we all know, .......he's right! We just don't have to like it 24-7, now do we (we all have our opinions and moments of rebellion, right?). So I feel that its no big deal, no foul, no harm. Just my thoughts on this.
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:57 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah...........THANKS JOHN D. !!
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:59 PM
User 41221
Banned

Hey guys, just like I said on the email lists, it takes ALL of us to make up Rennlist, both on the email lists and here. Its a different atmosphere over there, and if it weren't for the success of the email lists, the web forums never would have happened, so cut them some slack...

I have met a LOT of folks, both from the email lists and from the web forums, and I can promise you, we are ALL Porsche enthusiasts. Some of the old timers are a bit cranky that the web forums have depleted the traffic on the email lists, and they just need something to talk about.

For what its worth, I have been on the email lists from the very beginning and am an "old timer" over there myself, and I think the web forums are great! I'm sure I didn't score any points saying so on the email lists... oh well!

Regards,
Old 03-27-2004 | 10:15 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
I used to be an avid email-lister as well, but usually post here now.
I still read the email lists though.
me, too - i get the 944 and the 951 digests, but rarely read em. all my attention is here.

Quick Reply: Thank you John D for sticking up for us