Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:48 AM
fokker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch questions

When the car is cold i can hear a little noice(like a bearing whithout oil) when pressing down the clutchpedal.When releasing it it dissapears. It also dissapears when car gets warm.
The other thing is all the time, when gently releasing the clutch with the 1 gear sellected it doesnt engage perfectliy smooth. It feels like the clutch varies in engagement. Its pullsating. Like its not perfectly round.
(The same feeling but totally diffrent- When you approaching a stop light and you are braking, when the rotors are uneaven. The deacceleration is pulsating.)

Is this clutch issue normal? Are the clutch and clutchbearing giving up?
Or can i drive along without damaging anything?

Thanks
Dave
Old 03-27-2004, 12:19 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Sounds like a throw out bearing to me.

As for driving it, it's in a grey area. If you've replaced the clutch before and have a free weekend, then I'd fix it.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:26 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the pilot bearing? Possible source i would think. This is not normal in my experience.

How many miles and how old is the clutch? Also, you may want to update your profile and put in a location...Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2004, 03:44 PM
fokker
Instructor

Anyone more with experience of clutch issues?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Predator
Pro

I would not worry too much about the noise right now. It probably is the TO bearing begining to get a little worn. The pulsating pedal is more of a concern. Might be a warped pressure plate, which would require replacement soon. You can address the TO bearing at the same time. Remember to replace the pilot bearing at the same time. If it is a warped pressure plate, then delaying its replacement will probable result in damage to the flywheel. Have the flywheel resurfaced whenever you get into the clutch.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:09 AM
fokker
Instructor

Is this pulsating feeling (not in the pedal, but in acceleration when releasing the clutch) really a sign of a clutch that is in need of a repair?
Its not that notisable, but you can feel it.

I thought a reason was maby the same like brake rotors not beeing perfectly round caused by to much heat.

Thanks
Dave

Quick Reply: clutch questions