Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Damper + Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:05 AM
KingRichard
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Damper + Speaker Questions

Hello guys, new to the forum here. Bought an 86 944na a couple weeks ago, and have slowly been digging into it. In the process of fixing my door panel, and prepping for sound deadening, these are some of the things I ran into:
- I took a peek at my non-functioning door dampers, and it doesn't look so good. Looks to me like the mount pulled out from in between the two layers of metal. I do have access to welding expertise (father), but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what their remedy was.
- Currently has infinity speakers that work halfway decent, but the frame is broken. Rubber cover for behind the speaker is ripped up, and I was wondering how important those are (assuming yes cuz of water exposure and stuff), and if so, where I could look to get one.
- At the bottom forward corner of the drivers side window, it seems that the trim is missing. Idk if it's just shrunk over time, or weather I am missing a trim piece their, input appreciated.

Thanks for any help! Me and my father have been putzing on this while I am at home doing online college due to covid-19

Old 01-28-2021, 02:45 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 541 Posts

Welcome! That's still a good looking car.

I haven't experienced it but have read plenty about the door stops on these cars being troublesome; you're not alone. If you search around a bit at some of the standard vendors (paragon, 944online, only944, there may be others I can't think of right now) I'm pretty sure you can find kits to fix the issue you've run into. From my memory, there are kits available for the state yours are in.

For the trim around the window, you are, indeed, missing a piece. There should be one on the other side of the car, if you want to make sure. If you don't know about PET, I would download a copy and see if you can find the part number, then start searching. Sometimes, Porsche offers these parts for very reasonable prices. Other times, you can look at the vendors I noted earlier. Then other times, you can contact Lart (Lart's Parts, on eBay) and he may be able to set you up with what you need.

Keep up the good work, I love seeing these cars continue their existence.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2021, 03:20 PM
KingRichard
AutoX

Thanks for the advice! I found replacement dampers online for a not-bad price, just worried it's more the mounting, but i'm sure i'll figure something out. I found the trim piece new, unfortunately they want $50 a piece brand new everywhere, so maybe ill contact that eBay seller
Old 01-28-2021, 03:25 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

I poked around a little bit, since I was curious, and it looks like Stoddard sells pieces that are meant to fix the door stop when you have total pull through like you do. I found it at AutoAtlanta, if you want to look there.

Everything else that I found involved a good bit of welding, so it sounds like a good thing you've got that covered.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM
KingRichard
AutoX

Okay thanks, was the part called "Porsche Door Check Repair Kit"? I found a couple different products under that heading, one looked like a plate that bolted to the interior of the door panel, which is something I could probably just fab up myself...
Old 01-28-2021, 03:36 PM
KingRichard
AutoX

Could you paste the link for where you found it on AutoAtlanta, I'm having some difficulty finding it :/
Old 01-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

This is the one I found: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-D...D53191100.html

It came up under the search for a 944 part, but the description, now that I look at it a bit more, does not show a model it's applicable to. I think that if you have the skills and inclination, fabbing something up yourself may save you some search headaches.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2021, 06:17 PM
KingRichard
AutoX

agreed, shouldn't be too bad. Worst case scenario is JB welt paste
Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

What ever you do to repair the door, do it right, even if it means you have to wait to scrape the funds together. Otherwise you'll never sleep right again, and the automotive repair gods will smite you!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:50 PM
KingRichard
AutoX

Originally Posted by tempest411
What ever you do to repair the door, do it right, even if it means you have to wait to scrape the funds together. Otherwise you'll never sleep right again, and the automotive repair gods will smite you!
heh, agreed. One time I mentioned jb-welding a bike frame on a bike forum as a joke and I was absolutely attacked =D. I like your mindset.
quick question: should I lube the slider when I put it in? If so, with what?

Last edited by KingRichard; 01-28-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:00 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRichard
heh, agreed. One time I mentioned jb-welding a bike frame on a bike forum as a joke and I was absolutely attacked =D. I like your mindset.
quick question: should I lube the slider when I put it in? If so, with what?
Yes, definitely lube it. I use Wurth HHS2000, spray lube that turns into a grease. Another source of used parts is Plyhammersparts.com. Mark has helped me with various bits and pieces on projects for my 944 and 968.

Quick Reply: Door Damper + Speaker Questions