Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE 944 Early 1985 SunRoof Saga.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 08:39 AM
dozybee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PORSCHE 944 Early 1985 SunRoof Saga.

Total neglect made this car a real challenge. Water had severely damaged the upholstery
so that led to researching the sunroof for leaks.

I have read up about the 924 roof mods but have used my available bits for the time being.

The seals were usable but the roof retainer latches were found to be out of sync. Stripping the
latching system out ( Pelican Parts instructions ) found them to be not worth the time required to
repair/remake/source them. The car is not worth serious restoration.
The spiral cables were found to have been "brutalized" and one latch spiral had been broken.
The main cable had been damaged by the motor gear trying to drive the jammed latch.
The motor clutch must have been too tight.

Using a dremel, the cables were cut off the latches. The latches and plastic housings were cleaned
up and refitted to the roof. The sunroof latch receptacles were checked and found to have some
cracks but appeared usable.
I fitted the sunroof and started levering the latches until the point of maximum closing force was found.
One settled in the notch of maximum force but the other latch had no notch, so it was carefully set at
the maximum point. The latches also have vertical adjustments for the tension. The 6mm screws will
crack the plastic if over tightened. The long horizontal bolt and 8mm nut set the tension.
The final step was to bore a hole through each latch assembly and tap a 4 mm thread through the holes to
lock the latches in position with 4mm screws.

Presumably the 944 track drivers do something to their sunroofs when they strip their extra weight out ?

Cable damage

Cable removed from latch

Tension bolt, latch set

Latch locked with 4mm screw
Old 11-18-2020, 10:59 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

I feel what you're going through... It took about 7yrs (on and off) of fiddling, replacing, cursing, crying, yelling and bargaining with the sunroof assembly until one day, it all came together and worked. I keep at least two complete, fully functioning assemblies (from the motor, relay and microswitches to cables, retracting arms and gear boxes) for when this sucker breaks again. It's crucial to have the two rear limit switches and clutch adjusted perfectly or you might as well start some whiskey therapy. I think I've spent more time on that then any other problem over the past 8.5 years of ownership. Good luck my friend...
Patrick
Old 11-19-2020, 03:41 PM
PetePorsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have got 2 84's with dead sunroofs and this topic isn't particularly comforting.
Thanks for the tips though...I will make sure to note them down for when I gather the courage.

Last edited by PetePorsche; 11-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE 944 Early 1985 SunRoof Saga.