Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8t Bellhousing Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 06:22 PM
lobbster
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1.8t Bellhousing Group Buy

Are you sick of all the expensive and sub par options for 1.8t or other VW engine conversion in your 944?
Want an option that uses off the shelf VW parts to save money but also open the door to aftermarket and upgrade options?
Want one that requires no modifications to your beloved cars bodywork?

I'm offering a chance to jump in on a bellhousing group buy....

I'm making some bellhousings for a different application but thought I'd run a batch for the 944 if there is interest. They will be cast from aluminium and machined to give the perfect fit and alignment. I will need about 10 people to make the order worthwhile and the cost will be about £400 (GBP). this will be just for the bellhousing which is the only hard bit of the swap due to the tolerances required. Any fabricator can make up the other parts easy enough.

Why go with this vs other options:
-No body modifications so can always be reverted back to standard
-Standard VW flywheel, starter, pressure plate and release bearing so loads of options for upgrades and much cheaper and more capable than porsche parts.
-Loads of clutch options from high performance applications available off the shelf to meet your tuning goals (organic, kevlar, ceramic paddle clutches, hybrid cermaic and organic etc) often these performance parts are cheaper than the porsche parts too.
-Off the shelf parts means you aren't tied to getting spares from me in future. If your clutch gives up you can get a new part the same day from any car parts supplier.
-Cheaper bellhousing but also cheaper consumables!
-Hydraulic concentric clutch release bearing will get rid of that nasty porsche release arm that causes so much trouble and ensure compatibility with pressure plates.

See the attached images of my prototype and how it sits in the engine bay. the red CAD image is just something i threw together in 10 minutes to give an idea of what to expect (obviously with strengthening ribs and a more finished design for the real thing).
Loads of room for monster turbos even on my RHD car, standard brake booster, sits really far back for great weight distribution. plenty of clearance to the bonnet at the standard vw engine angle, engine can also now be removed out the top like a normal car and there is loads of room to wiggle it out.

Message me if you are seriously interested. if you have any questions post them below so everyone can see the answers. I will be taking a £10 deposit to secure your place in the queue and then the full payment before the order is placed on 8th December. I will refund the deposit if we don't reach the minimum number of people.

This will be for the 240mm clutch disc and FWD flywheel
7 deposits taken so far

Thanks,
Jack

Quick draft CAD

The original prototype used to set dimensions and test fit

engine in the bay. loads of room for a big turbo even on a RHD car

Shortened inlet manifold allows you to keep the stock brake setup

see how far back it sits in the engine bay. loads of room for intercooler and piping

Bonnet clearance