Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure Regulator - Vac line fuel smells

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020 | 08:44 AM
mikseymono
Intermediate

Default Fuel pressure Regulator - Vac line fuel smells

Hi Team..

924S '88 Carbon canister delete.

So, on my 924s, when I take the Vac line off the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) I can smell fuel. There are no drips, leaks when I take off the vac line. I have run the car for a good 15 mins, revved her up, stationary, and still no drips and yet the smell is there. Smoke is normal and not black, though spark plugs are on the dark side but not sooted up. Car feels normal, pulls well and about 25 mpg...though this is normal to me I have never driven another!

I have tested the pressure as per Clarks-garage and all is good.

Is this because of my lack of carbon canister?

Can anyone else confirm if this smell of petrol in the vac line is normal please?

Thanks,

M
Old 11-08-2020 | 12:08 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

If you have a mightyvac unit, pull some vacuum on the damper and the regulator. If they won't hold vacuum, they should be replaced. The plastic mightyvac can sometimes be rented from your local FLAPS...Sounds like you might have done this already- Somehow, fuel vapors are getting into your vacuum system. In the rear of the car, I presume that you have the plastic tank. The hard vapor return line is run near the fuel delivery line and the return line on the bottom of the car. There is a vapor return line that comes off the top of the tank, and runs to the intake manifold, eventually. There are also vacuum lines in the fuel filler area to help with over-filling. In addition to removing the carbon canister, did you also remove the rest of the myriad of evap vacuum lines and associated parts as well? The only two that I would leave, possibly, would be the one running to the vacuum canister on the passenger side, and the ones running to the FPR and the damper. The small canister in the engine bay also holds vacuum for your A/C system... I might have left out another one..V2Rocket on here has the canister-less setup as well..and he is much more knowledgeable about this than I am. Perhaps some of the race car guys can comment here as well, since I'm sure they have deleted all the excess weight possible, and simplified everything as much as possible. You may have to run a vented fuel filler cap, to eliminate tank vacuum.
Old 11-08-2020 | 04:26 AM
mikseymono
Intermediate

Thanks for detailed reply. I have tried the vacuum test with my hand held tester and the FPR does hold pressure. If there was some gas/petrol coming out it would be easy to understand......but for the moment I am a bit stumped. I'll keep testing/tracing various pipes/parts and see what others have to say.
Cheers,
M
Old 11-08-2020 | 09:14 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

If FRP test indicated a good FRP, why worry. I have a race car, no canister, and can smell fuel vapor in the vacuum line.
Old 11-08-2020 | 09:47 AM
mikseymono
Intermediate

Thanks...this is the sort of answer I was after. Think I'll just move along now!

M

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure Regulator - Vac line fuel smells