Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First experience with a 5-speed 944...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:08 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First experience with a 5-speed 944...

So much research into looking for a 944 and a new car...and i find a perfect 944 in my backyard practically. Its hell of a story about how i find out about it actually, anyway if you want to skip the background, just go to the 3rd paragraph. Otherwise read on...

So a couple nights ago i was screwing around in the 924S in the light snow that was falling on my area..you know having fun with the car sliding out around turns and whatnot (kid stuff...you know). Anyway i was cutting through a development thats about half mile from my house to get home a little quicker. I passed a great looking 944 sitting in front of a corner house, i gawked at it for about a minute and drove off thinking "yea right...". So the next morning i wake up to my dad telling me hes got a friend at work whos got a 944 that he might want to sell. Coincidentlally this guy lives in the area, like 2 minutes away. And sure enough, its the same exact car i was looking at the night before thinking no way id never find one in that good condition. I talked with the owner about it briefly on the phone, hes the original owner having bought it in 1986 and had it stored in his garage for about 7 years, he took it out and had a host of problems (mainly oil seals drying out...etc). Got it up to par and has since been driving it literally around the block every 2-3 weeks for the last 3-4 years. Car hasnt left the area except to be inspected. The guy has had it dealer serviced its entire life with a folder of records since he bought the thing. Over the phone he said he dosent plan on selling it, but would let me know first if he ever planned to. My father said to me he would call back...and sure enough about an hour later he called and told us we could come take a look at it if we wanted.

So we went over to take a look at it. Guards red, black interior...both of which were pretty much perfect. He let me take it for a ride around the block...and i thank two of my friends for teaching me how to drive stickshift just a few days earlier. I tell you, it far exceeded my expectations. It pulled so much smoother through the gears than my auto 924S, needless to say i was hooked on the thing. The shifting was so smooth compared to the Saturn SC2 and not as notchy as the SE-R that i learned on. So we talked about the cars for about an hour or so and i could tell he really liked the car, but said it was still 'a pain in the ***'. Hes still on the fence about selling it or not, but i have a feeling he may end up doing so as he kept saying "its just a real expensive toy for me". The car will need some work however, the waterpump looked ancient on the thing which leads me to wonder when the belts were last taken care of.

Im trying not to get my hopes up...but im really hoping he changes his mind...
Old 03-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great car. If he's just been driving it around the block for the last 3-4 years since all the service was done, the belts are likely 3-4 years old. It's gonna need belts ASAP.

Quick Reply: First experience with a 5-speed 944...