Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my new stereo headunit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed my new stereo headunit.

Finally got a whole afternoon to myself to get my ~$500USD deck that I bought on Boxing Day installed. I managed not to break anything (well except maybe the OLD deck....) and I wound up missing only one screw Oh and now my clock backlight doesnt seem to work... I think I fried it when I accidentally shorted a wire and blew the fuse... That REALLY pisses me off, I liked my working clock The old deck is a Pioneer DEH3400 or something, the new one is an Alpine 9815.

Putting in the new harness and removing the old one.

Yaayyyy first test! At this point I realized I buggered it up a bit, I hooked it up like the old deck with the main power for the deck coming from the switched ignition wires. This is how the old deck was and it worked fine but this one wants constant power to the main wire. Thankfully Porsche installed that aux bundle of wires that includes a nice constant battery wire.

Starting to put the dash back together. Now is about the time I realized I was going to have issues getting the deck IN because of all these wires and the 3 preout cables, the ant cable from the deck itself, and the Ai-Net cable which I wanted to have hanging down into the drivers footwell a bit for an AUX IN connector I have.

Yay I remembered to plug everything in and it didnt come loose as I was cramming it in there!

And done.

So far this deck sounds better than the old Pioneer, and I havent even messed with ANY of the varity of the settings in my new one. It also looks a whole ton better with the black and silver finish instead of the old ones tanish/metallic color. This new one plays MP3 discs as well, a very nice feature.

Quick Reply: Installed my new stereo headunit.