Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2: Euro S2's have the battery in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:12 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default S2: Euro S2's have the battery in the rear?

Looking at some YT walk around videos of S2's, it appears the Euro (or at least, UK) S2's have the battery placed in a cubby under the carpet in the corner of the cargo area on the driver's side oriented lengthwise front to back. I assume this was due to regulations, but has anyone relocated their battery to the back?
Old 10-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Some of the R-listers, on here have done the battery re-locate thing. Seems strange that the Brits would put it on the driver's side though. I can understand it however for battery cable placement. I personally would have put it on the passenger side of the car to offset the driver's weight, some. But cabelling may be difficult with this layout, and more expensive. Just an observation..
Old 10-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 295 Posts

Strange, unless you consider that they drive on the other side of the car. The right hand drive cars have clutch and brake components where the US battery compartment is.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:57 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Trunk-mounted batteries are only for RHD cars. Because it is located in the cabin they require special venting and overflow capture to meet regulations. The parts would be in the RHD-market PET catalogs.

It was likely moved to make way for the clutch mechanism. The brake mechanism is still on the left side. The RHD brake pedal has a full-width fulcrum that transfers the motion over the left side. Very weird, and a little sketchy.

Other than weight distribution, there isn't much benefit. You would need to do quite a lot of welding in the area in order to install it properly. From an electric perspective it complicates the system because your main alternator and power lines are four times as long, and have to be sized and shielded accordingly.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 10-18-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

The only other benefit is they have found that batteries mounted inside the cabin tend to do better as the cabin is insulated providing more stable climate control. Extreme weather changes effects batteries so placing it in a well insulated area will assist in keeping it consistent, thus extending life/quality. This is vehicles in general not specifically for 944's, that's why you see a few manufactures put them in trucks, under or behind seats, outside of just space saving for engine bay components. As mentioned the benefits are rather minimal to be honest.

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 10-19-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:32 PM
gothatway
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Some of the R-listers, on here have done the battery re-locate thing. Seems strange that the Brits would put it on the driver's side though. I can understand it however for battery cable placement. I personally would have put it on the passenger side of the car to offset the driver's weight, some. But cabelling may be difficult with this layout, and more expensive. Just an observation..
All RHD oval dash cars (not just S2) do have the battery on the passenger side. Square dash had them up front, also passenger side and above the fuses.

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
The only other benefit is they have found that batteries mounted inside the cabin tend to do better as the cabin is insulated providing more stable climate control. Extreme weather changes effects batteries so placing it in a well insulated area will assist in keeping it consistent, thus extending life/quality. This is vehicles in general not specifically for 944's, that's why you see a few manufactures put them in trucks, under or behind seats, outside of just space saving for engine bay components. As mentioned the benefits are rather minimal to be honest.
They're not mounted in the cabin, but in the rear passenger-side boot well - no real insulation and surely colder than under the bonnet.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:44 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gothatway
All RHD oval dash cars (not just S2) do have the battery on the passenger side. Square dash had them up front, also passenger side and above the fuses.

They're not mounted in the cabin, but in the rear passenger-side boot well - no real insulation and surely colder than under the bonnet.
I am fully aware where they are mounted. My post was a generalization regarding batteries placed inside the vehicle and not under the hood. Even in the rear cubby of a 944 there is more insulating material than compared to under the hood unless someone pulled out the rear carpet and quarter panel sound insolation foam. To be clear I did not nor am I stating that was why it is there in a RHD 944.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:44 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

I am fully aware where they are mounted. My post was a generalization regarding batteries placed inside the vehicle and not under the hood. Even in the rear cubby of a 944 there is more insulating material than compared to under the hood unless someone pulled out the rear carpet and quarter panel sound insolation foam. To be clear I did not nor am I stating that was why it is there in a RHD 944.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:32 PM
gothatway
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Whether under the boot carpet or the bonnet the battery will have insulation above it. In the rear cubby, given your level of knowledge, you will be aware that there is no other insulation. So five sides of the battery will be close to ambient temperature, whereas under the bonnet they will be surrounded by air at, well, under-bonnet temperature !
Old 10-20-2020, 05:27 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Whether under the boot carpet or the bonnet the battery will have insulation above it. In the rear cubby, given your level of knowledge, you will be aware that there is no other insulation. So five sides of the battery will be close to ambient temperature, whereas under the bonnet they will be surrounded by air at, well, under-bonnet temperature !
Can't let it go eh? Like I said my comment was geared towards battery locations in general not the 944 specifically. Second there is also weather stripping at the firewall which will limit the so-called under-bonnet temperature and the hood insulation pads don't extend that high as well, they stop at the firewall. Which in turn will limit the heat from the engine bay as well, not fully though. Any who it doesn't matter as this is off the OP's original conversation now and my response was to the question of general benefits of a battery being rear mounted.

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 10-20-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: S2: Euro S2's have the battery in the rear?