Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Tolerances

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 02:21 AM
savannah944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Tolerances

I was looking through the PET program and noticed that under my 1983 there were three different piston tolerances available. Those were 0, 1, and 2. I was wondering why there was a "1" stamped on top of my pistons and figured this was probably the answer.

I'm wondering if anybody knows why there are three groups and what the differences between them are.

Did all of the cars in 83' have the same pistons, or did some other factor dictate what piston went where.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:43 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the factory manuals?
It's explained in there...

I'm not sure why they did it; but they did.
Each piston tolerance group corresponds to a certain cylinder bore tolerance group (stamped on the block, near each cylinder on top).
Old 03-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Good old German engineering. The groups represent pistons and bores that fall into three different size ranges. I assume that they did this so that they could get away with a slightly greater variation within the manufacturing process, while still maintaining their tight piston to wall specs -- rather than ensuring that each piston and block was made to exactly the same size. We're talking about very very slight variations among the groups (which other manufactuers might ignore?).
Old 03-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
Good old German engineering. The groups represent pistons and bores that fall into three different size ranges. I assume that they did this so that they could get away with a slightly greater variation within the manufacturing process, while still maintaining their tight piston to wall specs -- rather than ensuring that each piston and block was made to exactly the same size. We're talking about very very slight variations among the groups (which other manufactuers might ignore?).
I wouldn't be so quick to credit German engineering. I think you'll probably find this will most if not all aluminum block engines. The Nissan SR20DE engine has the same thing.

And you're right, the tolerances are so tight that simply accounts for variation in machining. Remember, we're talking clearances in the ten-thousandths - much tighter than a cast iron block.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:42 PM
savannah944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

When I got pistons for my 89 S2 tol group 1 was the only avalaible so I had the engine honed to that spec.....
Old 03-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
I wouldn't be so quick to credit German engineering. I think you'll probably find this will most if not all aluminum block engines. The Nissan SR20DE engine has the same thing.

Sorry, I guess I should have said "Good old engineering which in this instance was done by Germans, notwithstanding, however, that similarly good engineering is practiced in multiple countries and is not exclusive to engineers who live in Germany or are of Germanic decent."

Quick Reply: Piston Tolerances