Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BC/Can Listers - Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:30 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: BC/Can Listers - Front License Plate?

This question is for BC rennlisters, though it may apply to all of Canada.
What is the law for having a license plate on the front of your car? I know in some US states you don't need one on the front, but I'm pretty sure in Canada you do...
I know that collector cars don't need a plate on the front...
I'm asking because I may want to do some modifications to the front of my car, and it would obviously look better if there was no plate...what about clipping it? I know a 951 owner whocut the top and bottom part off of his front plate and attached it to the lower cross piece on the front.
Do cops get really pissed about this sort of thing? Experiences?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:42 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

BC requires a front license plate on all vehicles, no exceptions. I was pulled over in Ontario once for not having a front plate (it's law there too) and only got out of a ticket after explaining that I had a plate bracket on order but it hadn't come in yet. Luckily, that was true and the fact that I'd bought the car in Quebec where a front plate isn't required confirmed my story. I think that you can get away with having the plate in the front windshield as long as it's visible to oncoming traffic but who wants a metal plate sliding all over their dashboard? Alberta also doesn't require a front plate so you could tell the cop that you just brought the car from there and you're waiting for the plate bracket to arrive from Germany!

Quick Reply: OT: BC/Can Listers - Front License Plate?