Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to flush? & thermostat snap-ring success?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 AM
HOT-SHU (a.k.a. Wes Shew)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to flush? & thermostat snap-ring success?

Flush the coolant that is. Can I stick the garden hose somewhere to backflush? With the assistance of a friend on rennlist forums & buying a hook & pick set we finally got the thermostat snap-ring out. Only took me 15 hours before that with various pliers, nails, etc. to get frustrated. Now the seal in the waterpump outlet which the thermosat backs onto is broken/missing & we fished half of it out of the waterpump housing with our finger. The other half I'm worried is still lurking in there. My question is, in which direction does the coolant flow, from bottom of rad up or from top of rad down? Any suggestions on how to flush the remains of teh old rubber seal out of the waterpump housing, without removing the pump? FYI the seal is p/n 951.106.155.00 in the parts & tech reference catalog diagram on page 8 of the 1999 issue.

As per the archives, I strongly reccomend a 90 degree strong/h/d/ pick & a smaller sized hook to pull/deforem the ring out. Don't waste your time with snap ring pliers.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:39 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i wish i could find the tool I used to get mine in and out. that thing worked awesome. i was gonna take a picture of it to show you but i seriously cant find it. me and Damian both took the ring out and put it back in several times in a row with no problem at all. I saw what the clip looked like and i instantly thought of that tool i used. good hting, because it sounds like its very hard to get out any other way.

oh and i think the rad flows bottom to top. the fluid is pumped out of the block and then into the RAD through the water pump... at least thats what my diagram shows.

Quick Reply: How to flush? & thermostat snap-ring success?