Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft housing - to - head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 AM
roco16
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Camshaft housing - to - head bolts

After finally sealing my oil pan (successfully, it seems), I decided not to drive the car until the pesky cam housing gasket is properly sealed.
It looks like the leak is landing right on the crossover (See pic, and note the oil pan retention rails)

I picked up a really good procedure here that describes machining down a socket to fit through the large cam housing holes.

My question is: Why not replace the allen bolts with regular hex bolts that would clear a normal socket through? Can this be done?

The only hinderance I can forsee is that it won't be as easy to line up the bolts in the holes ( grease in the allen bolts worked great the last 2 times I replaced this gasket )

Also, could I use an RTV to assist the cam housing gasket? One rennlister posted this as a temporary fix, I'm interested in a permanent fix.....

-Robert
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roco - you cannot get a socket into the hole and there is the problem! A dremel, some JB weld and 2 1/4" sockets and you can make what you need. I bought a set of 6mm allen key from sears (6 dollars) cut the end off with the dremel, bought two 1/4 (3/8th drive) sockets from Napa (they are slightly bigger than 6mm but a hell of a lot easier to find), JB welded the sockets in place, let them dry for a few hours and BAM done.

With the Sears kit there were two different lengths so I now have a 6" and a 3" setup. It made the job MUCH easier to do. Keep a telescoping magnet around, you will need it.

The allen bolts are only about 1.20 each (might have been less), I recommend replacing all of them. As we found, they have probably been out a number of times and for 20 bucks it is nice to know that they arent going to strip/round/break off.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:32 PM
roco16
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. When I did it the first two times (both of which leaked), I used a similar setup. I cut down a long 6mm and secured it into a 6mm socket.
Well, I need to do a better job this time and I think I am going to make something like this (bottom of the three):

instead of the top kind (previously tried).

Only, I am going to make it with a 1/4" drive socket (11-12mm in diameter) instead of the 3/8" drive. I am fairly sure the 1/4 drive will take the 14 ft-lbs required on the housing.

Thanks.
-Robert
Old 03-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would want a longer head on that allen key. I found with the 1/4 that you can put the torque on it (though most 1/4" torque wrenches are in in/lb) I just didnt like the idea much.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:39 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 6 mm 3/8" drive holder that I use. Has a set screw to hold in the 6 mm allen. Have to grind a groove where the set screw seats. I bought a quality hardened 6 mm allen and did the dremel cut off too. Ground the groove to match the set screw. Works.

I do like the idea of using an extension to reduce the length of the allen. Would not like to have it drop into the cam galley while I'm using it.

Quick Reply: Camshaft housing - to - head bolts