Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning the crankshaft to TDC

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the OT mark on the flywheel, and it worked just fine for me.
I don't know if all cars have this, but mine has a flange inside the rectangular hole, which comes just shy of touching the flywheel. When the line is perfectly lined up with the flange, then it's at TDC, just make sure the cam is correct as well.
But yes, it is a real pain to see in there with everything installed. I pulled the intake manifold and oil/air seperator (part of my project), and it was super-easy to see.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked all over the back of the engine for this mysterious "rectangular hole", but I can't find it through all the wires and stuff. I think I'm going to try the "wooden dowel" method, it seems pretty simple.

thanks to all...
Old 03-15-2004, 06:09 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Wooden dowel with out checking the rotor (or the cam - same thing) is right only half the time.

I would find the hole (it's above the sensors) as you will need this reference for doing timing and balance belts.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:46 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So cal brought up a good point i forgot to mention. The cam turns a different number of times for every time the crankshaft does, so it can be 180 degrees off at one point....another revolution will straighten it out....i almost freaked like a dumbass when mine was off 180 degrees
Old 03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Wooden dowel with out checking the rotor (or the cam - same thing) is right only half the time.

I would find the hole (it's above the sensors) as you will need this reference for doing timing and balance belts.
I don't think you are quite getting my point. The flywheel mark and the wooden stick method does the exact same thing. You have to keep track of the cam anyway you choose to do it. Try thinking about how the flywheel is connected to the crank which is connected to the rod which is connected to the piston for a minute. One revolution of the flywheel equals the piston moving down and back up to the same TDC position. It is the CAM which rotates at half the speed.

In short: Looking at the flywheel TDC mark or using a wooden stick to find the piston TDS does the EXACT same thing. You must check that the cam is not 180o off either way you choose to check the piston TDC

Regards:
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.944968.com

Quick Reply: Turning the crankshaft to TDC