Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a new cam (16v NA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022 | 07:30 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bergerac
I'm in the process of buying parts for a similar build. Did you manage to get any feedback from Cat on the power band and idle for the hot street cams? I'm but worried they are going to be too aggressive for a street build, and the local dealer hasn't been much help
Hello bergerac. I did consult with a well-known builder before selecting these cams that idle would be good and power band would be similar to the stock 'S' which is to say on the high side of the rev range. The stock 'S' engine redline is 6800rpm and I'm expecting to keep it there. With the all the changes I've made, I'm expecting better power everywhere, but I'm likely to see the biggest gains above 4000rpm.

The dealer I used couldn't provide any info but I didn't even try Catcam themselves. That might be an idea. The best source is probably Michael Mount. He still visits these forums. You could try sending him a pm or posting a new thread to get his attention. Also maybe talk to tuner John Behe here in Maryland. He tunes a lot of Porsches and 944s. I don't know if John is familiar with these specific cams, but if you give him the specs - mostly longer duration and overlap - he might have some insight. Google Behe Motorsports or RPR Automotive.

If you haven't locked-in your build yet, I'd highly recommend that identify an experienced tuner and have a talk with him about your goals and your plans (and maybe your budget too) to see if they line up.

One more thing... I think I speak for most of denizens here when I say, we'd like to here more about your build. Start a thread and post some pics of your car too. It's been kind of quiet around here lately ;-)

-Bill
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:40 PM
bergerac
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to get in touch with Cat Cams at the moment but haven't had much luck they seem very busy. I've even trying Pete from RSbarn to see if he still has any parts still available. I was hesitant to contact Michael Mount because I heard that he had retired but I will give it a go.

Unfortunately it seems like the car world has moved to facebook now but its seems very hard to dig and find the history there, I do need to start a thread but seem to struggle with the time these days.
Old 01-15-2023 | 05:22 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I have a set of web cams for the S & S2 that are brand new grinds from them several years ago. They have been nitrided and have the grind #s posted here on boxes and ground into cams. I can’t find info on the 571 grind not sure what this is but I got these from a S 1987-1988 owner so maybe this helps?

does anyone have any specs or know what the 571 grind is as it doesn’t say on web site?

I thought I may use them but decided to just use the stock cams as I’m finishing this 2.5 16V turbo race car now power will be plenty!

I will sell these for $1,000 shipped in conus
Old 01-15-2023 | 05:24 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Web cams for sale 16v s & s2

Old 01-15-2023 | 06:43 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

A phone call to Web Camshafts will provide the information you need. These are Grind Numbers that only mean something to Web. Ask them for a camshaft data card on these cams.
Old 01-16-2023 | 03:56 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Hello Boost Feen. If you want to post the cam specs here after to speak to Webcams, I will add them to the spreadsheet and repost an update. It would make a nice comprehensive reference chart.
Old 03-14-2023 | 02:50 PM
TypicslKarma
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by boost feen
I have a set of web cams for the S & S2 that are brand new grinds from them several years ago. They have been nitrided and have the grind #s posted here on boxes and ground into cams. I can’t find info on the 571 grind not sure what this is but I got these from a S 1987-1988 owner so maybe this helps?

does anyone have any specs or know what the 571 grind is as it doesn’t say on web site?

I thought I may use them but decided to just use the stock cams as I’m finishing this 2.5 16V turbo race car now power will be plenty!

I will sell these for $1,000 shipped in conus
boost feen, I am interested in buying your web cams but I am not yet able to send pm's on here. How should I go about contacting you?
Old 10-19-2023 | 07:05 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I still have these cams here is the specs from paperwork I got from the prev owner

$800 shipped for these cams no core so sell your old ones for half this money

Quick Reply: Choosing a new cam (16v NA)