Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowby using lots of oil!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:11 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blowby using lots of oil!?

I added a quart of oil to my car yesterday, and not because I felt like overfilling the tank. Jeeze, between the coolant blowing out the cap of the tank and the blowby (assuming that what it is, see below for details) I'd never guessed that I just rebuilt the top end of this motor. After almost 2 years with no problems, I guess I deserve something to go wrong, but I still have no clue what's up with her.

I notice oil pushing past the LBE and around all the intercooler joints. I'm quite sure I've got a good amount of blowby on my turbo, but a quart of oil in less than 500 miles? I made a post about my over excited coolant tank (she just spurts with excitement when I give her lots of boost. I took 4th to 6000rpm a few days about and my tank had spooged all over the inside of the engine compartment. Coolant's a messy thing to clean up.) but I don't know if this is related or not. I haven't been able to do the compression test or leakdown test, but this can't seriously be a cracked head or cracked block, can it? She pulls so hard and sounds much too good to have something that wrong with her.

HINT: I do burn oil when under boost, I've had people behind me verify this. Some is normal, but a quart in 500 miles? That's too rich for my tastes.

Any doctors want to diagnose my problem? Hit me back if you need more info, I'll be wrenching tomorrow and can check here occasionally.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blowing coolant = Blown Head Gasket

Burning oil = Bad valve seals/guides, bad rings, leaking turbo, or maybe bad oil filler O-Rings.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A leak down test will confirm it but it sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

Quick Reply: Blowby using lots of oil!?