Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot start problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 06:53 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Default Hot start problems?

Hi all,
Now I know I have posted on other threads about this problem, but I keep getting mixed answers on what it could be.
When I start the car cold, it fires up beautifully (especially sinc I'm not driving it yet, it sits for about a week at a time). But sometimes (now usually) when I start the car after its been warm for a while, it fires up nicely and right away as usual, however there is this HUGE scream noise that sounds like some sort of fast grinding or slipping or something. It's very embarassing and doesn't sound very healthy at all. I've been guessing it is the starter and I've been looking and getting a rebuilt one, but then last night I was talking to my friend and she suggests it could be an electrical problem. I thought it was maybe the ring gear slipping, but she said that probably isn't it. She was having problems when the engine was warm with instrumentation lighting not always coming on, and she discovered that the fusebox was all corroded in behind and buggering up the wiring. Mind you she has my old 83, and I have an 86, and the fusebox is in the engine bay behind the firewall.
My other thoughts were that someone had suggested something regarding the flywheel teeth wearing down.
My clutch feels fine right now, so I can't imagine it's time for a new one...
I've asked my mechanic but he hasn't been able to pinpoint it yet...
ARGH! It's driving me nuts! Suggestions?

TIA, Brendan

PS I return for your advice, I offer you this humourous photograph.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2004 | 11:56 PM
Friendan
Drifting

bump..
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:03 AM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

The starters in these cars will make a sick grinding sound when they start to die, or when the starter can not get enough juice. You may want to check and clean your grounds. See what happens.
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:46 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Thanks 7th, I'll get under there and check, that's a good point.

Quick Reply: Hot start problems?