Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confessions of a Mullet...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In defense of "mullets"

As someone who owns both (and I really hate the "Mullet" image you guys seem to have), there are merits to both.

Anyone who can't admit that is just as bad as the "Mullets" who bash Porsches.

In fact, I have to say, I see more "mullet" bashing here on Rennlist than I see Porsche bashing on boards like LS1.com. Over there, there are a couple of Corvette guys who hate P-cars, and about the worst anyone can say about a 924/944/968 is that "balanced" is another way of saying you don't have enough horsepower.

Anyway, if you want to compare the two, who are you going to ask? A guy who has owned one for four years, or someone who is going on his impressions and internet stereotypes?

BTW one of the fastest guys at the Porsche Club events drives a 2000 Firebird Formula. Embarasses the he** out of everybody not in an open wheel car -- AND the car runs 11s on the drag strip. He says he loves to kick overpriced German butt He's an awesome driver, but the "mullets" are not lumbering giants that cannot handle that you seem to think they are. They actually handle pretty well and dominate their SCCA solo and solo II classes, nationally. Can't say that about our cars.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I am a friendly curteous driver. I don't denegrate any make of car. A Camaro and I were trading places going up through traffic for about 20 miles the other night. Not racing just finding the right lane. It was fun.

Sometimes I speed on on ramps. Farm Hill to 280 north I hit 90 the other day. Had to brake to flow with traffic in the right lane. It is a long on ramp and I figure I won't get caught there.

Any other questions?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:12 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's Dan & Jerad? I think we were the only 951's @ the Fest last year that did break aaaaaaany laws ;-)
Old 03-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm quite sure that everyone who owns a Camaro or Firebird does not have a mullet and is not a redneck, and I believe that they are probably just as serious about their cars as anyone...
All I can say is that I REALLY don't like american cars, especially Camaros and Firebirds, for a variety of reasons, which I won't bother getting into and I'm sure I could start another thread on it and perpetuate even more the animosity between P-car fans and Camaro fans. So I won't bother.

So...how about them Cubs?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock

Or Modded?

Old 03-12-2004, 11:54 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
Where's Dan & Jerad? I think we were the only 951's @ the Fest last year that did break aaaaaaany laws ;-)
DOH!!! Someone has me on film using the loud pedal to excess. We didn't break ANY, we broke em ALL! Then again, If the boost don't fit, you must aquit!!

PS..for the newbies that don't know me.. How does 160 MPH in my 951 in Ohio, NOT on a racetrack... LEGALLY .... sound?
Old 03-13-2004, 01:49 AM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Guess I need not chime in about my 185 in a 70, on video, on my 12.

I hang out with a lot of v-8 guys, and most of them are good guys, who value horsepwer over build quality. Nothing wrong with that, if you realize the consequnces, and most of my buds do, even if they have trouble admitting it. I
get the "balanced" thing all the time in my X, since I only have about 290hp, so any comments on the 44 are more of a joke than anything else. All I ask of them is that they follow me to the mountains, and tell me what the view is like 300' below the road, theirs vs. the 44 or the X....
Old 03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally posted by Friendan
I'm quite sure that everyone who owns a Camaro or Firebird does not have a mullet and is not a redneck, and I believe that they are probably just as serious about their cars as anyone...
All I can say is that I REALLY don't like american cars, especially Camaros and Firebirds, for a variety of reasons, which I won't bother getting into and I'm sure I could start another thread on it and perpetuate even more the animosity between P-car fans and Camaro fans. So I won't bother.

So...how about them Cubs?
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

I seriously doubt anyone on here who jokes around with the Mullet mobile thing is serious, no seriously.

It's all fun 'n games
Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Bret 944
Pro

Yeah, my friend Don actually is very serious about his car, and he does not have a mullet, it's just fun to call them mullets. This '97 30th Anniv. Z28 is his second, and he searched to find a good one. His first camaro was a '94 V-6, and back then he was jealous of my '84 and my '88 N/As. I have great respect for his Z28, it's a pretty nice car, has a really good (auto) transmission in it, and the solid rear end is helpful for straight line acceleration. He's working towards a Procharger for it...

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Mullet...