Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise now no drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:19 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chances are real good that Dale is right, the backlash and noise you heard for the past while were a result of the clutch hub being broken, after a while the metal tabs on the disk either wear down or break off. Tell your shop to remove the large cover at the rear of the driveshaft/bell-housing and see if the shaft can be turned by hand. If it can the disk is broken, if it can't, the problem will be in the trans.
Good luck
Old 03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignore noises at your peril.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:12 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thats a real helpful constructive comment thanks peckster

! senseless quips like yours are easy throw aways and guaranteed to **** people off especially when they are facing a $2000 garage bill.

If you can't answer the question actually posted I suggest you save your stupid comments for the kindergarten
I seem to remember that this is your standard sort of answer to peoples posts anyway because you you don't know anything. What an arsewipe

What would you have done driving 75 miles home from work in a snowstorm minus 3 deg ? parked up and walked home?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Update

I went to the garage and had to wait 1.5 hours before they could finaly get it up on the ramp and even then there is no clear answer.

It looks like they are going to have to take the engine out or drop the rear end to get the torque tube housing out to see anything. The torque tube will turn by hand but there is a tight spot and some graunching noise in the vicinity of the clutch.
The car was booked in for the head gasket to be done anyway so the garage say it may be easier and cheaper to drop the engine to do both jobs.

It definitly isn't the rear axles g/box at least
Old 03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by peanut
Update

I went to the garage and had to wait 1.5 hours before they could finaly get it up on the ramp and even then there is no clear answer.

It looks like they are going to have to take the engine out or drop the rear end to get the torque tube housing out to see anything. The torque tube will turn by hand but there is a tight spot and some graunching noise in the vicinity of the clutch.
The car was booked in for the head gasket to be done anyway so the garage say it may be easier and cheaper to drop the engine to do both jobs.

It definitly isn't the rear axles g/box at least
Wow. Sorry to hear that it wasn't something simple and cheap like a CV.

Sounds like your wallet is about to go on a diet.......
Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by peanut

This car is a one owner car (me) since nearly new and I have done 145,000 miles on the same engine g/box transmission suspension and steering without a single breakdown in 15 years.

That is a testament to the way I drive and look after my cars.

Please don't presume to lecture older more experienced drivers about their driving techniques unless you have the same level of experience. Us old gits don't take too kindly to being told how we should drive by young whippersnappers like you lol
hey, sorry man, i assumed you were a newer member cause i have more posts then you (that most likely just means i'm a lazy bum who sits at this chair too much we all know what assuming does
i only said it cause i've heard it soooo many times on the List.

that's awesome that you're the original owner. hopefully i find a car someday i'll want to keep it's whole life.

hope the shop finds the problem fast and your wallet doesn't have too much of a "diet"

i know how THAT goes...on my 'not-so' well taken care of '44

best of luck
Old 03-15-2004, 05:36 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by porschefig
hey, sorry man, i assumed you were a newer member cause i have more posts then you (that most likely just means i'm a lazy bum who sits at this chair too much we all know what assuming does
i only said it cause i've heard it soooo many times on the List.

that's awesome that you're the original owner. hopefully i find a car someday i'll want to keep it's whole life.

hope the shop finds the problem fast and your wallet doesn't have too much of a "diet"

i know how THAT goes...on my 'not-so' well taken care of '44

best of luck
Hey thats real nice of you to come back to me porschefig and much appreciated.
Please accept my apologies for my outburst which was directed at another and not you.

I should have held my temper but after being stranded in a snowstorm with no heat for 3.5 hours and facing a third big bill in one month I lost it.

There are some really knowledgable, helpful and genuine guys on this forum ,the best you'd ever care to meet but there is also a few with neither knowledge or respect who, with sarcasm and rudeness, attempt to bring this forum down to their level.

I guess the reason that we hear that advice about braking with the gearbox all the time is there is a lot of truth in it .! When you have lovingly rebuilt gearboxes, diffs and engines with your own hands, as you and I have, it gives you a clear insight into what is happening in your transmission as you accelerate and de-accelerate hard

I drive with my toes only as if I have an egg between the pedal and my foot. Its difficult to be harsh on your car when you drive like this.!

best wishes from a fellow enthusiast.
peanut

Quick Reply: Whining noise now no drive?