Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Use Aftermarket Seat Rails With Stock/OE Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:23 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Anyone Use Aftermarket Seat Rails With Stock/OE Seats?

Hello,

The seat rails in my 924S are very rusted and need to be replaced.. In searching threads here it seems rusted up rails are a fairly common occurrence, but I didn't see any trace of what people are doing for a solution. Used replacements I saw on E-Bay were no better and often worse than what I had. I was able to get one set apart by tweaking some dimples in the rail assembly, with the thought of sandblasting and repainting them, but upon seeing the irregularly worn tracks where the bearings travel, I thought they really should be replaced. I ordered a couple sets from Sparco, #00493. Has anyone out there tried this? It looks like if I'm not mistaken that I will just need to drill some new holes in the rails to match the seat and floor mounting points.

A couple observations about the OE rails...My floor pan has no rust at all in it, which has me wondering how the seat rails rusted in the first place? Has anyone out there noticed this in their cars? I wonder if the guy I got my car from didn't swap seat rails on me. He runs a business parting out Porsches...Also..each rail is supported by only four (4) loose ball bearings! They're as crude a design as you can imagine. It's no wonder they have problems from not long after new.

Thank you for your comments!

Old 06-19-2020, 12:02 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a pair of the height adjustable recaro rails from my 944. If you have 16"x16" mounting points on the seats they will fit. PM me if interested. They are in a box on a shelf in the garage. They are in as new condition, and have not been in the car long. I moved the Recaro SRD seats to my E36 M3 which used a completely different mounting system. I also have a manual passenger seat manual mount for an E30 or E36. Those are hard to find.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:24 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I have a pair of the height adjustable recaro rails from my 944. If you have 16"x16" mounting points on the seats they will fit. PM me if interested. They are in a box on a shelf in the garage. They are in as new condition, and have not been in the car long. I moved the Recaro SRD seats to my E36 M3 which used a completely different mounting system. I also have a manual passenger seat manual mount for an E30 or E36. Those are hard to find.
Thank you for the offer, but I received the Sparco rails today and though the spacing isn't exact (to be expected), it looks as though I should be able to fit them easily enough by either elongating the existing holes, or drilling a couple new holes in them.

Quick Reply: Anyone Use Aftermarket Seat Rails With Stock/OE Seats?