Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front reseal time..any tips for "while I'm in there" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004 | 02:27 PM
dave120
Drifting

Default Front reseal time..any tips for "while I'm in there" ?

So I noticed while we were doing the pre-tech for the DE last month that I had sprung a couple small oil leaks. It looks like the balance shaft o-ring or something is leaking in the front as well as whatever it is (oil level sender maybe?) that's on the right side of the oil pan. And the valve cover gasket which I already have just haven't gotten around to doing yet. They aren't big leaks and I haven't noticed any change in my oil level, but it's enough to annoy a perfectionist like me, so it looks like I have some work to do.

Seeing as I just finished my 2500 mile retension on my timing belt that we just did and having replaced about everything in there (belts, rollers, even the complete auto-tensioner) I'm a little annoyed at having to take it all off again to get to the front seals, but I guess it could be worse. Is there anything else on an S2 that I should do while I have it all opened up? Engine is at 158k miles and still running perfectly.

I still need to install my Iceshark Light kit!
Old 03-11-2004 | 05:55 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Too late now but it is always recommended to change the seals with the belts since the work is the almost the same.

Try to take the minimal amount of stuff out of the way to confirm where the leak is coming from... a pain to go through all the hassel of removal to find the leak is not there.
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:47 PM
dave120
Drifting

I probably would have done it at the same time but it just started leaking recently..I would have seen it when I had it up on the rack before that. Oh well, good thing I don't mind working on this car. I'm pretty sure I know where its coming from since it was pointed out to me by a Porsche mechanic..he was the one helping me with my timing belt and everything.
Old 03-11-2004 | 10:17 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

cam chain and tensioner maybe?
Old 03-12-2004 | 02:43 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

When I did the belts last month, I changed all seals (balance shafts, cam, crank) and oil cooler housing seals + the waterpump. The oil cooler seals were easy to get to with all the stuff off the front of the engine. Pulled the housing forward. I have the 951, the NA may be slightly different, as the oil cooler housing is larger. For sure if you are back in there to do the seals, do the oil cooler seals and water pump.

Quick Reply: Front reseal time..any tips for "while I'm in there" ?