Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column moved inward? help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Swanson11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Dan - I do have a bit of the same concern about how easily it went in and whether something is bent or there is undue stress. Obviously I am concerned about safety. The first time I installed the rack, it went in easier without all the fiddling. So that has made me suspicious. I did spend the better part of a week (several hours over a few days) inspecting the rack, tie rods, and the upper and intermediate steering shafts as well as taking the steering wheel, dash trim and gauge cluster out, examining the steering column, etc and did not find any damage, pressed bearings, etc. It appears also after comparing the photos posted by Magk944 with mine I cannot see any differences. So, why it didn't neatly fit together the second time remains a mystery to me.

Although I had to turn the rack to full lock to get it to line up, nothing felt stressed in the operation. Also, I don't feel any unusual stress, binding, rubbing or force moving the wheel in either direction. I test drove it up and down the street yesterday evening and so far so good. Next, I am going to find a large empty parking lot and see if I can break it where I can't crash into anything.

Lastly, I know for a fact that I over torqued the bolts. Another "helpful" Rennlister in another thread indicated to torque the mounting bolts to 30lbs, which I did. But, I subsequently did more research and discovered that the correct torque spec is 17lbs. The bolts sheared in what to my in-expert eyes looks like they twisted off. Again, not saying you are wrong, so I am proceeding with caution.

I dont want to crash or kill myself or a passenger, so if anyone has any words of advice, I'm open to further advice or suggestions.

Quick Reply: Steering Column moved inward? help needed