Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:59 AM
pflyers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof wind noise

does anyone know if new seals will get rid of the wind noise coming out of my sunroof?

also I just recently purchased the car where do guys take your cars to have the oil changed?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: sunroof wind noise

Originally posted by pflyers
also I just recently purchased the car where do guys take your cars to have the oil changed?
Do them myself . Anyways, a normal (half-decent) oil change shop should probably be fine. Just be forwarned they'll rape you on oil filter prices (normally a $20 surcharge from what I've seen, plus an extra hour wait.....enough to void the 'convenience' & do them myself). You in SoCal? If so I'd reccomend going with 15w50 Mobil 1 oil (~$18 @ WalMart) & a Mahle oil filter (www.paragonproducts.com has them on sale right now). Depending on your driving style that would last you 5-10k miles or 6 months (whichever is less).

As for the sunroof.....yes, a new sunroof seal will fix one that doesn't seal quite well (it should be reasonably quiet). I'd make sure to check that it's latching correctly first though as the sunroof seals are pretty pricey (~$100 or more).
Old 03-09-2004, 01:30 PM
pflyers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks,

my biggest concern was the oil filter and the stupifying looks when I've driven my car in to a regular place for something simple.

....and the stupifying look on my own face when I've gone to a porsche mechanic and asked how much for something simple....

I had to go to 3 tire dealers before one would balance the tires. I really don't know why some people get nervous around these cars, they're just an engine 4 wheels and a body like any other car.

btw..if anyone reads this check out

www.tufoil.com
I've been using this additive for years after reading an article in popular science, it's the slipperiest substance know to man.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) A good trick for the wheels (also applicable whenever you buy 'common' parts) is to just bring the wheels in without the car (maybe even remove the center caps). Prices seem to suddenly drop when you do this (Identical parts with a VW instead of a Porsche on them are about 1/3 the price ).

2) If you're nervous about doing the oil changes yourself (really they're VERY easy, hardest part is literally getting down on the ground to reach the oil drain), just order an oil filter (or a few to save shipping) from paragon & bring your own filter to your typical oil change shop.

Quick Reply: sunroof wind noise