Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 door handle install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004 | 01:40 PM
Sean
Drifting

Default 968 door handle install

Well, my 968 door handles are painted and ready to go.

I've read Keith Foster's excellent online installation guide, and am preparing to start the install today.

For those of you who have been through this procedure, any last minute words of wisdom? Anything you would add to Keith's guide?
Old 03-05-2004 | 01:51 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

The hardest part for me was getting that little pin back into the linkage when putting it together again. I needed three hands. The first time was a bear. Now after two or three times, I'm pretty good at it. I was only suppose to do it once, but I'm a slow learner.
Old 03-05-2004 | 02:18 PM
Sean
Drifting

I noted that the Sunset kit (which I bought in the group purchase) includes a couple of optional parts that will speed assembly of the 968 handles. I don't have the part numbers in front of me, but I think they include the pins and screws. This helps bypass some of the reassembly process. Kudos to Sunset for including those parts.
Old 03-05-2004 | 03:17 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

It took me a little over an hour to do the first handle, less than 30 minutes for the second. Once you've done it it's relatively simple. Post pics when you're done!

BTW - kudos to Keith for his installation guide....I couldn't have done mine w/o it!
Old 03-05-2004 | 03:45 PM
icat
Race Car

Aw shucks, I'm feeln' the love...

First time is a bear - no doubt about it. But once you've done it the second one's a breeze. I used a small nail to help with the pins. Also used the nail to "push" out the pin. Be careful though, the pins are easily lost. Make sure you car is sitting in an area with a flat, clear surface (like the middle of your driveway). That way, if the pin gets away from you it's easily recovered. In other words - don't change handles next to or on a grassy area.

And remember, this upgrade adds at least 150 horsepower - so be careful when you first step on it (just kidding of course - actual increase is more like 80 to 95 HP).
Old 03-05-2004 | 06:18 PM
Sean
Drifting

I'm at the stage when you prepare the door for the 968 handles by replacing the acuator arm.

"B) Lying on your back, look up inside the door through the ventilation opening. Locate the base connection point of the actuator arm. The arm is held by a small ball over which the actuators plastic base clip snaps. Use a long flat blade screw driver to pry the plastic base off the ball. The arm is well attached and this step can be difficult. Take your time, the actuator will come off. Once loose, remove the arm through the handle opening of the door."

Grrrrr. This is tough. There seems to be a piece of metal inside the door that blocks access to the plastic base & ball. Is it possible/necessary to go through the door itself after removing the door panel?

Last edited by Sean; 03-05-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2004 | 06:55 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I've yet to paint mine!!!!

Waiting to get everything done at once, but thanks for all the good advice fellas! (And Michelle!!!!)

KEITH: You da man!!! Anytime you come to Vancouver you eat and drink for free!!!

Quick Reply: 968 door handle install