Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner- Fan relay question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:28 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by pinbill
Thanks for the info on the o2 sensor. It looks like the sensor without the heater is cheaper. Probably why they did it. The black line is the vacuum for the thermo valve. I hooked it up and the car runs the same.
On the vent line, the effect wouldn't be immediate whether connected or not. If the thermovalve never activates the vapor vent system per factory design, the fuel tank wouldn't vent properly, which will eventually lead to strange issues with fuel starvation.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 PM
pinbill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny you mention that. The first time I filled up the gas cap made a air rushing vacuum sound. It didn't do it today after I hooked the line back up.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:54 PM
pinbill
Intermediate

Ok, I got some temp readings from the infrared thermometer. I took the readings on the block near the temp sender. The fans were coming on at about 200-205 degrees. I am sure now the car isn't overheating. The gauge was almost into the red when the fans came on. So there is something with the grounds or the sender giving a false reading. Cleaning the grounds will be my next project.

The fans came on with the car parked and idling. It was 45 degrees outside. Is it normal for the fans to come on in the winter or spring? or just in the summer?

Old 02-26-2020, 09:51 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

...Is it normal for the fans to come on in the winter or spring? or just in the summer?
^^^ Post 11 ^^^

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The outside air temperature has nothing to do with the fans which are only looking at the engine/coolant temperature for a signal.....
Old 02-26-2020, 10:44 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

Tempest is correct about that O2 connector, however; I believe all cars (at least the many early years models that I've been around) have that extra connection, including mine which was sold new in Ohio.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:02 PM
pinbill
Intermediate

Gotcha about the o2 sensor connection.

I understand what you are saying about the cooling system, but outside temp does have an effect on the cooling system. The fans have to come on more often when its hotter outside. Like your furnace coming on more often when its super cold out. On some cars when it gets cold outside, the water and engine temps will remain low enough for the fans not to kick just by using the thermostat, radiator, and water pump. The fans on my caravan only come on in the summer. I can't remember the last time the fans ran on my Honda Civic.

I am surprised how often the fans run on my car and it is cold out. More often than my other cars. Maybe its normal for this model.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

...I am surprised how often the fans run on my car and it is cold out. More often than my other cars. Maybe its normal for this model.
I get what you are saying but the frequency that the fans come on will be a function of the temperature ratings on the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. There are various temp ratings for both of those parts and if you fit the wrong combination all sort of weird things can happen regardless of OAT.

Edit: I did a search on a past post I commented on and this may help:

“...the fan switch is matched to your coolant thermostat. A 71 thermo matches a 75 switch and a 80 thermo matches an 85 switch, there is also an 87 thermo. 80 or 83 is the same apart from attaching parts that are included, as you figured out. Some people fit higher or lower thermos and switch to accommodate their climate, just check you have the right 85 switch to match your 80/83 thermo in case the PO fitted the wrong one.“
Old 02-29-2020, 01:44 PM
pinbill
Intermediate

We are on the same page about the fans. I am running the 80 degree thermostat and the 87-92 fan switch.

I don't have very many records on the car and don't know when the timing belt or water pump was replaced. The timing belt and balance belt were inspected and adjusted last year but not replaced. When I changed the thermostat it had the thin oring. It made me think I have the original old style water pump. I haven't checked to see if it has the timing belt guide upgrade. I plan to keep the car for a while so I will clean the grounds, replace the water pump, timing belt, and cam cover gasket before I take it on a road trip.

Does the old style water pump flow less than the new style? do the pumps get weak for just fail completely?
Old 03-17-2020, 12:37 AM
pinbill
Intermediate

Hey Guys,

I am back to working on the Porsche. Cleaned the grounds in the engine compartment and the crown ground under the dash. I also removed the instrument cluster and put some contact grease on the connectors. Now the temp gauge is reading 1/4 lower. I feel better when the temp gauge is between 1/4 and 1/2 most of the time.

I ordered some motor mounts. The motor mounts on the car are the original kind that have the bolt going all the way through with a nut. I also need to order a timing belt and water pump. I am running the original water pump, the timing belt doesn't have the guide upgrade, and the thing smells like burning every time I drive it. It may be the cam tower that's leaking. Looks like there are quite a few seals to do while I am in there.

I am looking at this kit. Is there a better kit to seal everything that doesn't have the oil cooler seal? or should I get the parts individually?

https://944online.com/index.php/new-...ription_tabbed

Bill

Last edited by pinbill; 03-17-2020 at 05:10 PM. Reason: update about cleaning grounds

Quick Reply: New 944 owner- Fan relay question