Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake hose replacement - recommendation on brand??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020 | 08:56 PM
MattSlay
Instructor

Default brake hose replacement - recommendation on brand??

I'm wanting to replace the 2 front and 2 read brake hoses on my 1990 944 S2 so I can be sure I am getting the best possible brake performance when I am driving my car on track events. I'm still novice driver, but going into this next year I want my braking to the best it can be. As far as I know, my car probably still has the factory original brake hoses going from the rigid lines to the calipers.

I went online and did the typical Google search, and I am finding too darn many options to choose from. I've seen some forum messages where people claim you can buy then for $20 each and I've seen some sets online at around $200 for the set.

I don't want to by cheap ones, but I don't want to over-spend.

Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about the brands:

All prices below are for the 2 Front + 2 Rear (4-piece set):

Pelican "Troutman" brand, $72 for the set https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...=0&SVSVSI=1030

Lindsey Racing $105 https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...-BLK-9442.html

ShopTech brand (eBay) $114 https://www.ebay.com/itm/202746538474

Auto Atlanta "Techna Fit" brand $122 http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-T...N-RPOR650.html

ECS Tuning "Exact-Fit" $133 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...002427ecs01kt/

Auto Atlanta "FVD Brombacher" brand RFVDB44355S89 $210 http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-9...B44355S89.html

Last edited by MattSlay; 02-16-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2020 | 09:10 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Fwiw Lindsey and *Stop Tech are reputable brands I’ve heard off, also so is Goodridge and all three of those brands are DOT approved. For something as critical as brakes I wouldn’t go cheap or with a brand I’ve not heard off.
Old 02-18-2020 | 11:42 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

I recently replaced my front stainless hoses with ATE brand rubber OEM hoses and can't tell a difference. I plan to do the rears next. Price was great too.
Old 02-19-2020 | 11:45 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

You guys got it good down there with your choices, availability, and prices. I found a local supplier with good prices and ordered the front OE-style rubber hoses. Their site showed "In Stock" in nice green lettering. They are so close and allow pickup. Yesterday, they replied that it will be two to three weeks.

The ATEs are available up here for aprox. $55 CDN each but it's over a week wait. FYI our dealer is quoting me $172 CDN ea and they also require one to two weeks. Just for kicks, I called your Autozone and you can get aftermarket for $8 USD--the next day!

I ended up ordering from that well known budget supplier that for twenty bucks shipped them up to me overnight; got a message that they are in-transit for delivery today. America... what a country lol
Old 02-29-2020 | 09:34 AM
EnormousEli
Track Day

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Fwiw Lindsey and *Stop Tech are reputable brands I’ve heard off, also so is Goodridge and all three of those brands are DOT approved. For something as critical as brakes I wouldn’t go cheap or with a brand I’ve not heard off.

Old 02-29-2020 | 12:03 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EnormousEli
@EnormousEli Rules must have changed since John Womack wrote that 20 YEARS AGO!

The facts for whoever cares:

The SAE

SAE stands for the Society of Automotive Engineers and “is a standards development organization for the engineering of powered vehicles of all kinds, including cars, trucks, boats, aircraft, and others.” (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International) It is the largest such organization in the world (with approximately 120,000 members) and enables voluntary consensus on automotive standards. SAE approval has nothing to do with legality and having a part (such as a headlight or performance muffler) with an SAE stamp alone will not protect you from a ticket.

The DOT

The DOT is, obviously, the Department of Transportation. Unlike the SAE, The Federal Department of Transportation is a governmental agency with legislative powers. In order to legally manufacture and sell automotive accessories for use on public roads a company must have DOT approval and must conspicuously label their products as such.

So basically SAE approval is an engineering standard and DOT approval is a legal standard.

Please note that many sellers will, incorrectly, list their items as being SAE/DOT approved without this actually being the case. Furthermore, many will not even know what SAE or DOT approval is. Before purchasing any aftermarket product it’s important that you ask the manufacturer to provide you with a statement that the product being sold is DOT approved. If they cannot do so at least you know that your purchase will not be street legal (which is fine for most folks) and that it may have been engineered without conforming to the rigorous standards imposed by the SAE.

Old 02-29-2020 | 12:38 PM
EnormousEli
Track Day

@EnormousEli Rules must have changed since John Womack wrote that 20 YEARS AGO!

The facts for whoever cares.
A whole lot of empty words defending an incorrect idea.

The actual facts, as opposed to fake facts:

From the current NHTSA website, accessed on 2/29/2020.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehi...ification-faqs

Old 02-29-2020 | 01:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EnormousEli

Correct, DOT does not approve compliance with FMVSS, however that was not what you were implying by your post. Your argument that DOT Approval means nothing where in fact it means a lot.

A company must have DOT approval in order to legally manufacture and sell automotive accessories for use on public roads and must conspicuously label their products as such.

So tell me @EnormousEli you joined this forum this month, jump in on four posts and start criticizing members posts who mention anything about DOT by copying and pasting stuff you find by searching the web. What are you expecting to gain from this?

The following users liked this post:
EnormousEli (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 01:58 PM
EnormousEli
Track Day

In order to legally manufacture and sell automotive accessories for use on public roads a company must have DOT approval and must conspicuously label their products as such.
The distinction between on and off-road use is not one found in federal law.
"Off-road" and "off-road vehicles" are not terms defined in Standard No 108 or in any other regulation or law that we administer, and have no legal meaning.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/23112ztv
​​​​​​​
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:57 AM
EnormousEli
Track Day

A company must have DOT approval in order to legally manufacture and sell automotive accessories for use on public roads and must conspicuously label their products as such.
Two things to note:
  • Again, the correct phrase is not "DOT approval" but "DOT compliance."
  • I'm not sure where you are going with your qualifier of "use on public roads." See this interpretation from the chief counsel:
"Off-road" and "off-road vehicles" are not terms defined in Standard No 108 or in any other regulation or law that we administer, and have no legal meaning.

The correct formulation would be something along the lines of: a company's product must be compliant with applicable DOT standards. Simple as that.

Thank you for this productive and stimulating discussion.
Old 03-01-2020 | 11:24 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Does this mean my Chinese front brake hoses--that arrived to my door in 2 days at less than $20 and allowed me to enjoy the past entire week driving to work in my 951!--are legal, compliant, safe, and well-engineered?

After all... they have writing with the letters DOT printed right on them.. and it says the following on their website:

Of course... if anyone actually polices these things is a different matter. Like the Olympic stadium built in Montreal, approved by local building codes, built in the 70s and starts falling apart in the 80s... we takes our chances
Old 03-01-2020 | 11:26 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

PS... certain that the failure will come gradually like a leak from a rusted metal crimped end or something, I will keep a close eye on these hoses and report back how long they last. In the meantime... back on the road!
Old 03-01-2020 | 11:28 AM
EnormousEli
Track Day

Whether there is actually any enforcement is another issue. But I try to avoid products that demonstrate a complete lack of awareness of the regulations. Such as products claiming to have obtained "DOT approval."

If you don't understand the first thing about regulations in this country, then you probably didn't meet the regulations .
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:32 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

After reading all this I'm glad I used ATE oem hoses. They even came with the protective wire spiral wrap and rubber mounting grommet like the originals had.

I haven't been able to find ATE rear brake hoses, only FTE. Anyone care to comment on them?

Quick Reply: brake hose replacement - recommendation on brand??