Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who visits bimmerforums?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004 | 02:32 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Default Who visits bimmerforums?

I registered with them the other day and posted in the Forced Induction forum. Basically, I introduced myself as a nwbie to their site and was looking forward to learning about BMWs as I would like to buy a E39 540 in the not too distant future.

Unfortunatley, after 3 days and 31 views. Not one person replied. I know that when a new user posts on Rennlist, they usually get 5-10 welcoming replies.

Should I stick with the model specific forums or do they not welcome non-bimmers.

I don't care one way or the other but I was hoping to find a community similar to this where I can learn more about BMWs.
Old 03-03-2004 | 02:36 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've looked over their site a bit, because I wanted to learn about BMW's too. I don't post over there much. It took me awhile to get the hang of the e30-e36 lingo, but I caught on ok.

I guess it's an ok site. I think there's quite a few rennlisters registered over there too.
Old 03-03-2004 | 02:53 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

an example of the typical maturity level on bimmer forums:

last month a moderator posts a story of how he street raced a cayenne on his way back from church with his wife and child in the car.... this story is met with many congratulations on his win...

my response to his story:
"Hey i bet you really looked cool to the guy in the cayenne and all you had to do was risk killing your wife and your own child.

Street racing is bad enough but it takes a special kind of idiot to do it with your kid in the car... I really admire you now!"

then ANOTHER MODERATOR tells me "
Remember when you were little and your mom would say, "If you can't say anything nice, just shut the f*** up"??? (Maybe that was just my mom's version of that old expression , but I think you see my point?)"

and everyone agrees while a third moderator says yay and woohoo and what not

the point of this is that moderators are supposed to be the grown ups that keep the forum decent meanwhile over there they barely meet the level of people we have throw off rennlist... I dont like bimmer forums.

i was a bmw fan before i was a porsche fan but the problem is that you see too many kids attracted to bmw so their social groups are only one small step above a honda street racing "team"

im allowed to rant about bmw owners now because i sold my 525
Old 03-03-2004 | 02:57 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I was a little concerened when I saw they had a whole forum dedicated to Kill Stories. I usually associated the with the Honda and import street racing forums. I was more than a little scared by some of the stories there.

I thought the Forced Induction forum would be a good start since I have a turbo. Guess I was wrong.

I'll try again though.
Old 03-03-2004 | 03:03 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, bimmerforums is no good. That's the type of people that BMW attracts now, it really sucks. They've all got big wallets and small brains. The only BMW board I belong to is S14.net, which is specific to E30 M3s. They are very knowledgeable over there, easily comparable to rennlist, too bad it's specific to E30 M3s. Then again, the majority of the BMW crowd today wouldn't know what an E30 M3 was if they saw one (ask me how I know).
Old 03-03-2004 | 03:13 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been on BF's for many years. As the older members sell off their BMW's to the younger ones, there has been a serious degeneration in the quality of dialogue. I rarely post there now. It is a great site for E36 3 series and M3's. For the E39 and E34 5 series you are better off on the M5boards www.m5board.com, or on roadfly.com. Still, neither will be quite at the level of Rennlist
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:08 PM
James86-951
Pro

I have just begun reading it as well. I am trying to get info before I begin looking for a 740i sport. I wanted to know what I was getting into. I have to admit the forum is much less into the technical part and more into the "ricer" part. (eg a section dedicated to styling.)
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:23 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

IMHO, BMW's are well built, well engineered automobiles. The problem lies with the "attitude" that comes with them.

Which reminds me: What's the difference between an elephant and a BMW? Anyone?
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:24 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

The a$$holes on the OUTSIDE of the elephant!

Sorry, had to lower myself for a moment. I'm OK now, thanks.
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I am a member at bimmerforums but I never post there. i hate the format of roadfly.

To be honest aside from the E36s I dont think those forums offer anything in the way of technical skills. The E30s hang out elsewhere (much more like us) and the E46s have their own forum (though it is even more childish than the bimmerforums).

FWIW, I belong to a number of forums and none even come close to this one. I know we joke about the maturity of some members and it is not always the nicest place to a certain kind of member but this forum is pretty good at self-moderation. You dont see a bunch of stuff moved or deleted and you dont really see the big flame wars anymore.
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:46 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

I read there on occasion maybe looking for a daily driver to replace my Volvo, after some time there it feels like I need a shower.

The kill stories section is about as predictable as a typical teen movie:

I saw X car, he looked at me the wrong way, I had to show him the power of my bimmer, I lauched, walked him after 60... Of course if they lose they always add "I would have owned him in the twisties..."

If you want to waste some of your life away and feel dirty look at the off-topic forum, never before have I seen so much melodramatic none sense... Always one or two threads about womanizing, p0rn postings, and political discussions that turn into sexual preference hatchet jobs. Its like being in college again.

All in all, its not too surprising. In SoCal a BMWs are everywhere, but most people who drive them use them as status symbols, few are drivers. Too bad they make great cars, but the electronics have to go... Course if it were me I'd get an E-30 325i.
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:48 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Epic2112
Then again, the majority of the BMW crowd today wouldn't know what an E30 M3 was if they saw one (ask me how I know).
Hey - where'd you get the body kit for your beemer? I get that one a lot, I've got an '89 along with the p-cars. Oh BTW, I posted a tech question there, it never got answered. I finally found a site where it was answered, but I don't remember where.
Old 03-03-2004 | 07:33 PM
Danno
Race Director

"The only BMW board I belong to is S14.net, which is specific to E30 M3s."

ooohh, I'd love to have an E30 M3! And turbocharge it! heh, heh...
Old 03-03-2004 | 08:03 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

It is too bad because the e30 3 series cars are fun to drive. I have a couple of them right now and its not too hard to find one that needs some work for $500 running. Its my "fun" thing to do whenever I can't find a 944 to put together or wreck to chop apart.
Old 03-03-2004 | 09:15 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Hey, i've been a fan of BMW's for a while, but I'm still tryin to get used to the different year designations and what not...I love M3's and M5's, I actually just today I saw a black older M6!!!! Hot damn, that thing ruled...and the M1 is one of my favourite looking cars ever...I really like the European 3-series ti, I took some pics of them at a car show in Paris (check my gallery for pics), too bad they didn't keep bringing them here...where can I learn more about E30's and and the basics of the specialty models?

Quick Reply: Who visits bimmerforums?