Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overboost protection... cause cold? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 01:44 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Overboost protection... cause cold? Maybe?

So, tonight I hit OBP twice. Nothing's changed aside from she's sat for most of this last 9 months. I wondered if the first time it wasn't just that it was 37 F outside, and she hadn't fully warmed up yet. She always has more boost when it's cold out, but that's the physics of cold air. However I later did it again on the highway entrance ramp. Well after she was nice and warmed up. Back when she was new to me, boost would always peg right at 1.7 ish and stay there. When I added the Lindsey boost enhancer that raised to just a hair below 2.0. As a matter of habit I always watch the boost gauge and tach when I'm accelerating hard. I don't like bouncing off the rev limiter, and since I added the boost enhancer I'm always watching the boost closely. Both times it maxed out where it always has in the past with the LBE, right at about 1.95~. But this time, it triggered OBP both times. Idea's, thoughts?

I know the LBE isn't SUPPOSED to raise the boost, just bring it on earlier, but it rose mine from day one. I think that means my wastegate spring is weak? But as it stayed in the non-OBP zone, I was ok with it. I can tell a difference from 1.70~ ish and the almost 2~ ish so I haven't wanted to bother. These cars are well able to handle 2.0 bar. So all was good. Except now I'm hitting OBP. And that's not ok. I know I an chip it and do away with OBP, but I do like having that failsafe in case things really went wrong. Should I just turn down the LBE? Was it just the cold air? Do I need to finally break down and replace all the worn turbo parts?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:28 PM
slinger569
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue with my car a while back when I installed the LBE. The car would shutter a bit under high boost. I ended up pulling the LBE out to test and the problem went away. So I dialed the LBE back a little bit, reinstalled and the issue went away. I played with the settings to tweak it but Lindsey says the treads should show about roughly 3-4 pennies. I would try the same process.

Last edited by slinger569; 02-04-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:12 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
So, tonight I hit OBP twice. Nothing's changed aside from she's sat for most of this last 9 months. I wondered if the first time it wasn't just that it was 37 F outside, and she hadn't fully warmed up yet. She always has more boost when it's cold out, but that's the physics of cold air. However I later did it again on the highway entrance ramp. Well after she was nice and warmed up. Back when she was new to me, boost would always peg right at 1.7 ish and stay there. When I added the Lindsey boost enhancer that raised to just a hair below 2.0. As a matter of habit I always watch the boost gauge and tach when I'm accelerating hard. I don't like bouncing off the rev limiter, and since I added the boost enhancer I'm always watching the boost closely. Both times it maxed out where it always has in the past with the LBE, right at about 1.95~. But this time, it triggered OBP both times. Idea's, thoughts?

I know the LBE isn't SUPPOSED to raise the boost, just bring it on earlier, but it rose mine from day one. I think that means my wastegate spring is weak? But as it stayed in the non-OBP zone, I was ok with it. I can tell a difference from 1.70~ ish and the almost 2~ ish so I haven't wanted to bother. These cars are well able to handle 2.0 bar. So all was good. Except now I'm hitting OBP. And that's not ok. I know I an chip it and do away with OBP, but I do like having that failsafe in case things really went wrong. Should I just turn down the LBE? Was it just the cold air? Do I need to finally break down and replace all the worn turbo parts?
1. I would caution against getting into boost if engine is not warmed up
2. WG leaking/failing would cause low boost, not high

Quick Reply: Overboost protection... cause cold? Maybe?