Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it be possible to get enough people to start another sfr group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004 | 07:56 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

We are now official as well on testpipes! Tim said we had 5 and I know of at least one other person who wants to order!

BTW, if you have a 924S, the 944 NA 2.5" catback WILL work for your car!

FYI, if you haven't ordered yet, the GROUP BUY END DATE will be 3/19/2004. That gives you 8 more days to order. If for some reason you need to order a few days after that, contact me or Tim so we can put you on the list to order and so that you can get in on the buy.
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:05 PM
mikl1976
Racer

well it is official.. i got the exhaust.. and also got me a new high flow cat.. thanks guys
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:19 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Fantastic! Glad to hear you're in on the group buy and that it worked out for you!

I'll add you to the list as well! I just got confirmation from another member that he ordered the test pipe and catback for his 951 as well!
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:05 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

944 Turbo - I hate you and Tim you have made it tooooooo attractive and I just added the test pipe to my order.
Jack
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:19 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

But just think...it will help you go

And yeah, it is very attractive....buys like this don't come around too often. Just think of it the way women do when they go shopping and buy a lot of clothes that were on sale.....you saved money!

Originally posted by K-bit
944 Turbo - I hate you and Tim you have made it tooooooo attractive and I just added the test pipe to my order.
Jack
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:43 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

now if I can only explain it that easily to the financial department(wife).
Thanks again for the opportunity,
Jack
Old 03-13-2004 | 09:24 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

hehe....do it the same way she explains the last time she went to the mall and bought a bunch of things that were "on sale" although she didn't really need them..... we all know deep down that for them and for us, when we make these purchases, it's based on want And you can tell her at least this will be well used (every time you drive the car!) as opposed to something that sits and does nothing but collect dust! Use statistics too!.....driving 100,000 miles with the car divided by $450 = 2.2 cents per mile!

Then again, maybe you should build a doghouse if you don't have one just to be safe

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-13-2004 | 03:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Damn, i am tempted to buy the n/a 944 exhaust for my 924S, but my father would kill me. I wish i had the type of parent who didnt know anything about automobiles, but if that were true i probably wouldnt be driving a Porsche in the first place. I would think he would notice the mirror finish on the exhaust when we put the car on the lift...
Old 03-13-2004 | 04:10 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

The unpolished version only has a nice shiny finish on the tip and the muffler..... Might be worth being dead for!

That being said, although it would work on your 924S and your late model NA 944 when you get it (could be swapped over easily), Tifosiman and a few others are waiting to see some dyno results and some others on here just can't afford it for now. Within probably a year's time some more people will be ready to buy and do another group purchase.

I'm honestly blown away at how successful this one is so far. We may beat out the last one! I'm guessing now that there will be close to 8 or 10 testpipes and maybe as many as 30 catbacks.
Old 03-13-2004 | 04:17 PM
mikl1976
Racer

this group purchace seems really successfull.... need to find something else to agree upon again in late summer...
Old 03-13-2004 | 05:31 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

This one is partly successful due to several NA guys getting in on the buy in addition to the turbo guys. I'm really surprised at the turnout considering it's only been a few months. Very pleased though

Something most people on here could use and would want is the ticket to a good group buy. Something NA guys can get in on too really increases the number of potential buyers as well. Widebands, intercooler pipes, turbos, etc. don't really have as many potential buyers as something like a catback does. Things like swaybars would be a good one. Unfortunately I'm moving about that time and I won't have any money for goodies then
Old 03-14-2004 | 11:56 PM
mikl1976
Racer

hey turbo.. think we could get a group buy on some engine mounts and transmision mounts
Old 03-15-2004 | 12:43 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Those are things I doubt would do well in a group buy.....primarily 2 reasons. When those go, you have little choice but to replace them and so waiting isn't often an option and buying them to have on hand if they do break later is usually not something people do. The bigger reason I don't know if we could get such a buy going is that the best ones, the ones recommended for us to use on the street (where most of us drive) usually are the ones from Porsche. That means that a parts supplier has a minimum price that they tack on as profit. Sunset Porsche, Paragon Products and a few other places already offer a discount well beyond the regular PCA discounts. For the most part they are cost + a small percentage, usually 15% from what I've seen. So they have a slim margin to handle their Internet costs, employee salaries, packaging/handling time, overhead, rent, etc. The Porsche dealerships offering these deals are already offering you a massive discount already over regular prices. A quick example....I was at the local Porsche dealership and inquired about a fuel filter for my car. $25. Paragon carries it for less than $15. That is like a 40% discount already.....any further discount would likely be so small that it wouldn't be worth it. Where we really get discounts are when we are able to inquire with the manufacturer of an item, hence why the discount on the SFR catback is a bit better than on the Fabspeed unit (my guess anyway!).

I won't say it can't be done or that you might not be able to get a decent discount that would get some people to buy or that you might or might not be able to find enough people interested/who need to replace them right now. Only thing you can do is to ask and see....search and see how many have posted about changing them lately or who might need to and see where it goes. Might also talk to a vendor and see what kind of discount would be offered first, too. If they can't go beyond 10%, it's not likely to attract a large number of people who don't need them right now.

These are just my thoughts of course.....and may or may not mean a great deal.....the fact that nearly 30 people came out of the woodwork to join me on this one has been very surprising and awesome!
Old 03-15-2004 | 05:20 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Default Ordered my SFR catback today

Thanks for all of the hard work Turbo944! I am really excited about the new exhaust. The picture of your silver 944 is awesome. Do you have some sort of tinting in the windows?
Old 03-15-2004 | 05:27 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Awesome Karl!!!!! You're welcome! I'll move you up on the list! Thanks for taking part!

LOL....this comes up all the time It's not actually a "real" car, it's a computer generated model of my car in LightWave. That's a VERY old version of it at this point. Check out this link for a 1600X1200 res render of the latest time I rendered it (with Amazon green paint, Cup 1s, and a chin spoiler). Be warned, it's nearly half a megabyte I've fixed about 10 problems since that render though... Built some Club Sport wheels as well (I already have my wheels, Fuch, phone dials, and of course the Cup 1s and I intend on building a few more wheels including Ruf wheels, Design 90s (most of the way done, but unbelievable #s of polys...gotta fix that), and probably sewer lids (my next project I'm playing with will be a 928).

951 wallpaper

My real car is at and yes, I do have 35% metal tint on all but the windshield (installed by the PO).

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/turbo944

Dang...hijacking my own thread again

Quick Reply: Would it be possible to get enough people to start another sfr group buy?