Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost and how-to put a euro rear bumper on 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Is the rubber trim a stick on item or are there mounting holes in the bumper? I like the smaller euro bumper but that rubber strip looks worse to me than the US pads! If the bumper can be swapped without the rubber I'd be interested, but that strip looks like @$$!
There are holes in the bumper, the rubber strip has embedded studs that attach to it (you use a nut and a lockwasher on each on the backside). IIRC there are about 8-9 holes. I'm certain you could fill in the holes if you wish. I thought about filling in mine, but I really think it looks good in person with the trim on it. (pics don't do it justice) Plus it is functional (if someone lightly taps it parking, you won't have to re-fiberglass your bumper).
Old 03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm liking the rubber trim also, and Jeremy's logic is sound regarding potential impact to the bumper. I gotta say though, the Euro bumper are actually pretty stout fiberglass. You'd really have to wack the sh*t out of em to mess one up.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tifo, thanks for the info! I don't argue the practicality of the strip, a parking lot tap is one of my concerns. There are a few cars in the area that have the euro bumpers, it looks fine on a black car since the rubber doesn't stand out but on other colors it just bothers me (I'm sure I'm in the minority). Have you been to NY in the last few years? There's a rubber strip that they put on the taxi bumpers, not the same strip but from a distance it looks very similar. Wonder how it would look on a speed yellow car!?!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Manning
I gotta say though, the Euro bumper are actually pretty stout fiberglass. You'd really have to wack the sh*t out of em to mess one up.

Then the person that had my bumper before me musta "whacked it" a lot! LOL!

It doesn't look like this anymore, after many hours of work and sweat. Now it is done, in primer, and ready for paint.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that looks like it got wacked pretty hard. My set is still sitting in the basement waiting for paint (I can't do anything obviously expensive to my car until my fiance gets her ring).

I was really actually surprised by how thick the walls of the bumpers were when I got them since my impression from reading other posts on the board were that they were super fragile and nearly paper thin. They are actually a good 1/4 inch thick in most spots. I'm not saying they are indestruct-o by any means, just a lot more sturdy than I expected.

Just remember not to park by feel.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:03 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy,
Glad to hear that the bumper is working out for you. If you or anyone else is interested, I still have the front bumper and valance. I have had a lot of people ask about prices, but nobody has come through yet. I want to sell the valance with the bumper, due to the fact that the valance doesn't have the cut out's for the fog lights. The car that the bumpers came off of is a true "euro" car.
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com
Old 03-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Manning
(I can't do anything obviously expensive to my car until my fiance gets her ring).
Hey Michael, no disrespect, but that is the funniest thing I've read in a while here!

As for the bumper trim "looking like a$$," well, Dave, what can I say. I kinda like 'em both and own 'em both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the Euro bumper 'cause that's the way Tony Lapine and Harm Lagaay intended it to look.
The following users liked this post:
bobinnova (03-06-2024)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:02 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Does anyone know any new options to buy a euro turbo rear bumper? So far the best I've seen in the US is here.

https://944online.com/index.php/rear..._return_policy
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Does anyone know any new options to buy a euro turbo rear bumper? So far the best I've seen in the US is here.

https://944online.com/index.php/rear..._return_policy
The Euro bumper is NLA'd by Porsche. You seem to know that there are two versions of the Euro bumper, and they are different in a significant way: The Turbo bumper features a thicker, taller bumper pad, and the NA bumper has a thinner, shorter bumper pad. Both bumpers will fit all 944 models, but the pads are not interchangeable - the bolt stud patterns in the pads are different, and thus the corresponding holes drilled into the bumpers to accept them are different. What's a bit confusing is that the part number stamped on the NA bumper is the same as that on the Turbo bumper, even though they feature this difference. Personally, I think the Turbo version is better-looking, as the NA's pad is too thin.

I ordered that exact kit you referenced from 944online, but they sent me an NA bumper instead, and when I tried to exchange it for the Turbo bumper, they told me they didn't have anymore, so I'd check with them to confirm that they do, in fact, have Turbo bumpers on offer again before purchasing. You could buy an NA bumper and convert it to a Turbo, but it would entail drilling new mounting holes, and I imagine it would be very difficult to get the correct reveal top-to-bottom/left-to-right. Two years ago I was able to find a OEM Turbo euro bumper from Rose Passion, a Porsche parts supplier in France; I searched everywhere for a new Turbo bumper, and it was the only place I found that still hand them. The price including shipping was actually cheaper than NA bumpers being sold State-side, but that was a while ago and I have no idea if they still have any left. During that search, I also scoured UK and DE Ebay looking for used Turbo bumpers, and while I came across a lot of NA bumpers, I never found a Turbo one.

The Euro bumper is one of the best - if not the best - cosmetic upgrades you can make; it totally changes the proportions of the car, and really cleans up the rear end. The US bumper is hideous, and also very heavy; I think I dropped 25-30 pounds by switching to the Euro bumper. Just don't get rear-ended - they offer no protection at all, and as they attach directly to the frame, the result of taking a hit in the rear could be catastrophic.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 09-17-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche is still making the euro bumpers. Just bought one a couple of months ago. Only took a couple of weeks for it to come from Germany.
Turbo rear bumper is 951-505-387-01 and runs ~$400 from the dealer.
Rubber trim is 951-505-069-01 $317
Tow hook cover is 951-505-346-00 $18
Bumper Mount is 477-807-131-A $57
Bumper mount (with tow eye connection) is 944-505-039-03, this is ~$175. This is the other difference with the NA rear bumper, the NA bumper doesn't have the provision for the rear tow hook.

-Todd

Old 09-17-2020, 09:30 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Holyoak
Porsche is still making the euro bumpers. Just bought one a couple of months ago. Only took a couple of weeks for it to come from Germany.
Turbo rear bumper is 951-505-387-01 and runs ~$400 from the dealer.
Rubber trim is 951-505-069-01 $317
Tow hook cover is 951-505-346-00 $18
Bumper Mount is 477-807-131-A $57
Bumper mount (with tow eye connection) is 944-505-039-03, this is ~$175. This is the other difference with the NA rear bumper, the NA bumper doesn't have the provision for the rear tow hook.

-Todd
As of today the rear 944na Euro bumper is still available from Porsche, the 951/S2 is not. Lead time from Germany is 4-6 weeks. Idk about the rubber strip or the mounts though the 951 tow cover is also still available.

Things may change as Porsche Classic commissions a new batch of parts.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
The Euro bumper is one of the best - if not the best - cosmetic upgrades you can make; it totally changes the proportions of the car, and really cleans up the rear end. The US bumper is hideous, and also very heavy; I think I dropped 25-30 pounds by switching to the Euro bumper.
Because the car was originally designed with that bumper. US bumper was added due to US legislation.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a euro rear bumper for sale. It was from a ROW 944 with a 2.7L engine.

Aren't all rear euro 944 bumpers the same? I thought the only thing that changed was the rubber strip?
Old 02-01-2024, 06:39 PM
hcj06870
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
It's a bolt-on replacement. The bumper has access holes underneath. Most Euro bumpers available in the U.S. are aftermarket replicas, though.

Check the pics of my 951 in my sig to see what a factory black one looks like.
It's bolt on but you need almost all the hardware shown in the parts diagram; the European mounts are different.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:49 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MN
Because the car was originally designed with that bumper. US bumper was added due to US legislation.
US: 5mph bumper
Euro: 3mph bumper

Quick Reply: cost and how-to put a euro rear bumper on 944