Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 PM
sp1990
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update

So an update on my 84. The last time I posted, I was having an issue with noise coming from the transaxle. Without opening trans, I pinpointed where the sound is coming from. With car in gear on jackstands I find the noise is coming from deep inside the middle area of the transaxle. I got a used trans. on its way to me now. Will be here in 2 weeks. Until then have been trying to get other little issues dialed in. Was having a rough high idle at stops and found out there's a vacuum leak in the brake booster. It only leaks when pressing pedal though. Going to just close off vacuum port on the engine for now and use the brakes manually until I get a new brake booster. Idle nice and smooth at 900rpm now. Was hearing noise in timing belt area this morning and opened the plastic cover. I know balance belt is supposed to be loose but I think it is too loose more than it's supposed to be. No problem as I did timing belt and balance belt 7 months ago so will tighten that back to spec. Next I noticed cruise control unit under hood was unplugged. Plugged that in and now on start the unit clicks rapidly for a minute or so then stops. Guessing that's why previous owner unplugged. Finally got around to flexsealing the battery tray. I have a new dme temp sensor on order. The fan would run continually wether engine hot or cold. I will post pictures when I get my transaxle and post pictures of removal and installation. I know I need a 8mm triple square for CV axles, but what size wrenches and sockets are needed for transaxle removal? Need to start getting any tools I don't currently have for the swap as I need to get the replacement unit in asap as the 944 has taken over daily driving duties bc i sold my other daily I was driving. Yes I'm driving it with the bad trans at the moment lol (drives fine other than noise).
Old 12-14-2019, 12:20 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't give you sizes, check Clarks-garage.com or perhaps grab a Haynes manual. However, if I recall correctly, there isn't much to it, though I haven't worked on an 84 for 20 years. First, check for a sensor to disconnect. Grab some wire to tie the CVs out of the way. Then the shaft coupler for the torque tube to trans, which is an Allen wrench, perhaps in the 6mm -8mm range, which will have 2 bolts and need to be pushed far enough to separate the 2 shafts once loose. The old trans mount is straight up into the car, several large (19mm or 21mm?) bolts, maybe 2.

Grab a​ friend to help, I think there is some awkward clearance trying to get the trans fully disconnected from the torque tube, but again, it's been a while. A trans jack would be better, but if not, it can be done with a floor jack. Be carful not to crush anyone, those things are quite heavy. I may or may not have narrowly escaped death the first time.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:17 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

You will need lots-O-tools my friend... I'm going through that major surgery as we speak. In fact, my 84's transaxle is being completely refurbished/restored by Catellus Engineering up here in Massachusetts. The restoration will include all new bearings, synchros and who know what else, plus a nice exterior cleaning.

Where are you located?
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 PM
sp1990
Instructor

My Christmas present came in a little earlier than expected. Glad it made it in one piece with the rickitey box it was shipped in. Now the fun begins!!!

How it arrived.

A little grimey but supposed to be a good unit.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:16 PM
sp1990
Instructor

Was driving to work when car started running funny, random battery and oil light, belt squealing badly and no power past 1/4 throttle.10 minutes later when I arrived at work I shut car off and realized I was hearing the starter spin. Apparently starter stuck on for those 10 minutes overworking the alternator causing the belt squeal and power was being robbed by the lack of voltage. A few taps on the starter fixed my problems lol. Looks like I will also be pulling starter for a rebuild.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:57 PM
sp1990
Instructor

Changed out the dme temp sensor today. The one I ordered from rock auto didn't have the correct threads. Luckily oriellys had one in stock. Ripped a part of the rubber intake boot so now I need to locate one. Fixed it temporarily for now. Now temp gauge on dash not working and yes I changed the 2 pin dme sensor didn't touch the gauge sensor at all.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 PM
sp1990
Instructor

Turns out temp gauge sensor had allot of corrosion. Cleaned up and gauge working again. While I was working on that coolant started randomly leaking from from passenger side engine area. Ended up being a bolt on the block. I attached a pic. What is this bolt? The picture was taken front front passenger side looking beneath.

What is this bolt leaking coolant?
Old 12-26-2019, 05:34 AM
RalfS2
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1990
Turns out temp gauge sensor had allot of corrosion. Cleaned up and gauge working again. While I was working on that coolant started randomly leaking from from passenger side engine area. Ended up being a bolt on the block. I attached a pic. What is this bolt? The picture was taken front front passenger side looking beneath.

What is this bolt leaking coolant?
I think it is the oil pressure relief valve. Propably your oil cooler housing is leaking.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:36 PM
sp1990
Instructor

The leak stopped after i topped off the coolant. Even with new dme temp sensor,the idle still doesn't rise when cold started. Still have to keep a little amount of pedal applied to keep her idleing on cold days. My old carbureted firebird had a better cold start than this lol. Decided to clean her up today since the weather is nice.

This 35 year old paint still shines!

Quick Reply: Update