Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 944 vs a integra (dont flame!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 01:32 AM
X 944 X
Instructor

Default my 944 vs a integra (dont flame!)

my friend has been running his mouth about how good his jap integra is.... he has a 99 GS-R (160hp) i believe... he has the usual fart can, headers and intake....he wants to go against my 944 for some hard on reason... saying both drivers are equal, i have a 83 944 with MSDS headers, fr wilk remapped DME, AC delete and the K&N... i know my car will top out a lot harder than his, but should i be able to take the GSR in a 1/4 mile????? he wants to put $$ on it, im not really into that, im just really curious to see what you guys think, aside from the answer of go run it and find out....
Old 02-28-2004 | 01:37 AM
Geo
Race Director

It'll be close. Drag racing or road course.

Drag racing, given even drivers, my money is solidly on the Teg.

On a road course, driver skill matters even more, but I think they are probably pretty even actually. Much as I hate Honduhs, I have to admit the GS-R has a great engine and great suspension. Lighter too IIRC.

BTW, keep it on the track. Sounds like that's your intention and I hope you keep it that way. Street racing is for losers.
Old 02-28-2004 | 01:44 AM
Boricua944
Pro

now hmm lets say Teggy GSR VS 951 lol???
Old 02-28-2004 | 02:02 AM
savannah944
Advanced

Street racing, without controlled surroundings, is for idiots...this guy obviously has some issues. It's hard sometimes to say no--but once you've done it you'll understand more fully and it will be easier to think with your wits rather than with your emotions.
Old 02-28-2004 | 02:10 AM
Sach951
Pro

In a drag the GSR would win by a small margin I believe, yet it would win none the less. On various tracks, however.. that's a different story

Best Wishes,
Sach
Old 02-28-2004 | 02:26 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Don't street race - you'll end up killing someone or getting arrested - either of which is bad. Do it on the track.

Tell your obviously hung-like-a-juvenile-rodent friend that to be fair, you should participate in TWO events (one for each of the primary characteristics of the particular cars) - the 1/4 mile and some twisties. It's a win/win for you if you think about it. NO WAY you'll lose on the course and you also just MIGHT take him in the 1/4 (in which case he tucks his tail between his legs and slinks away). If you split, you each get bragging rights - If he declines your offer, then he's exposed as too chicken to take on a car that he DOESN'T have an advantage over - which attacks his ego. Either way - you win.

If he's so interested in running ONLY the straight-line acceleration contest to determine how great a car is, consider this: a friend of mine had a Chevette (yes, a Chevette, not a Chevelle, not a Corvette) with a 383 stroker and a TH400 and 4:11's in it. Car looked like crap, handled like crap, scared the hell out of me on more than one occasion but ran like a raped ape in a straight line - enough to blow the pants off of 5.0 Mustangs and the occasional Corvette. Is that REALLY the measure of a quality automobile? For what it's worth it was a fun project, but not much of a truly quality automobile. Part of what makes these cars so great is their balance: performance, handling, looks, efficiency, durability, crash protection, etc. It all factors in. And the technology is 20+ years old!!!

Hope that helps.

Post the outcome will ya?

And don't let him see the hidden NOS bottle
Old 02-28-2004 | 02:54 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

What do you and your friend say if I get both your panties in a bunch...

and tell you to challenge me and my 928? muahahahahah!

Andy
Old 02-28-2004 | 03:18 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chill guys, dont flame the kid.

But I think he might be able to take your 944. Get yourself a 951 than talk all the crap in the world , but 944's are not meant to be street raced.
Old 02-28-2004 | 04:40 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you could take him. Get some weight out of that car (Spare tire, rear carpet, back seat, and if you're feeling froggy the passenger seat). Besides, you've got some decent mods yourself. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2004 | 04:56 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

why don't you two make the best of this rivalry and both start autocrossing monthly (www.scca.org)? then you can both talk all the trash you want and settle up once a month.
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:13 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

No offense, but, I think those of you who are claiming the 944 would outhandle the GSR, etc are smoking crack... It should be relatively close, but, the GSR's are impressive handlers & much more technologically advanced, etc- They ran ~15.3 @ 1/4 mile- the 944 was ~16.0. The GSR Integra ran to 120 in ~35.0- the 968 took about hte same amount of time to hit 130- I'm thinking the 944NA would take ~40 to hit 120, but, could be slightly off- the top speed of the Integra was almost 135- the 944NA was just >130 IIRC(?). I had an '89 Integra & could throw it around a lot easier than my 951S- it would actually outhandle the 951 in most areas too, but, that was ONLY AFTER I had installed Tokico 5-way adj shocks, Mugen bushings, etc. I have had some horrible luck w/my Porsche, but, hope to change that in the near future. At any rate, that old of a 944NA is going to have some trouble- even top speed should be relatively close- my 89 Integra was only worth ~123mph.. I don't know if all the junk he's actually done to HIS has HELPED it or not (possibly HURT it). Anyway, it's not an ego thing for you is it? If not, then go for it & have fun- just be SAFE about it... Please let us know how it turns out, but, I think it should be VERY close pretty much everywhere... The furthest gap would probably be either the 1/4 mile OR Auto-X- the GSR should win by 1/2 sec (~4 or 5 cars) @ 1/4 & is more of an Auto-X car for sure...
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:55 AM
Danno
Race Director

" it would actually outhandle the 951 in most areas too, but, that was ONLY AFTER I had installed Tokico 5-way adj shocks, Mugen bushings, etc."

You mean those ricer-mods really do work? heh, heh... People really underestimates some of these Japanese cars. A couple year ago, I got embarrassed by a Integra Type-R in my Turbo even. The S2000 is incredible on the track and is faster than most stock Turbos.
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:10 AM
Wagz
Racer

That gsr has 170 hp stock, b18c1 engine. It would eat the 944, sorry no chance man.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:52 AM
X 944 X
Instructor

i was thinking that my car hooks up real well (meaning it doesnt spin unless thats what i was trying to do) and i can chirp 2nd/3rd... and that those integras take a second to hit the right RPM, my car pulls hard starting pretty low... i know those japanese engines need to be rev'ed up till 5k before they make any power. i guess it really would come down to who can drive better using the tree.... the mentality of this guy isnt all the way there because last night after about 5 beers he said are you ready to race??/ im like youve GOT to be kidding... i said something about lets do it this weekend, then he came up with something about his front tire not being right...... wtf? i know MY 944 isnt a 1/4 mile car... in either case, i tell him if you can beat my car... you CANT beat my bike ( i have a 99 gsx600) but still, even though i enjoy motorsports.. alcohol + racing= HUGE PROBLEMS/JAIL/DEATH
anyways guys, if you DO participate in racing events dont go get tanked up then start talking trash like this guy, that really makes me kinda pissed... its either one or the other.. i tried telling him that, then everyone that was standing around with us agreed with my POV.

have a good day everyone!
Old 02-28-2004 | 09:08 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good to hear- the guy sounds like he's got a big ego & wants to add a "Porsh" to his kill-record. I'm not sure I'd let him if I were you- & that is ASSUMING he CAN beat you anyway- if he drives like he talks, you shouldn't have any trouble The 944 should have slightly better off-the-line traction & low-end TQ, but, not much- the susp geometry of the GSR, amoung years of tech advances, etc, have allowed it (& many FWD's) to hook up pretty well, considering- there are a lot of 8 sec FWD cars out there btw- the VTech also helps low-end, although that's a notorious weak spot in almost all Hondas, which he could have made worse w/his particular mods- have you ridden in his car? It's POSSIBLE- & I'm starting to hope at this point- that the mods he did actually slowed him down- THAT would be funny- it could be louder & slower & he THINKS it's faster- of course, it's not likely- anyway, stick to your guns & don't let him talk you into a stupid race- if you get him pissed off & whiny about it, then, you've already won...

Quick Reply: my 944 vs a integra (dont flame!)