Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan relay and resistor advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 AM
MatthiasRex
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan relay and resistor advice

Dear all,

I am trying to sort fan issues on my '89 2.7 (uk spec- so no O2/cat and RHDrive + battery in rear left boot/trunk compartment). There is a clicking coming from the passenger footwell which I think comes on when the fan kicks in- I presume this is the cooling fan relay and am going to try and follow CGarage advice on testing it but my research around cooling and 44s is throwing up more questions than answers:

I have a single fan relay/car- no AC- I cannot find the two 'hockey-puck' resistors for slow fan speed anywhere (not under the lip by the blower)- to be honest I was unaware there was a slow speed setting (if indeed there is at all with my spec car?!) and have only ever registered the fans coming on at high speed at the upper temp limit. I replaced the old fan temp sensor in the radiator last year as it the fan remained stuck on.

Does anyone know where they are and any more info specific to the fan system for mine would be much appreciated- (ie single fan/no-ac but not the old square dash setup)- my relay is 944.615.105.02 (89/84/70) + any advice on the clicking/testing of relay would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM
hotblack944
Track Day

I've been told that on RHD cars, the cooling fan speed resistors are inside the car on the bulkhead up under the driver's footwell. If you find them, take a picture and post it up here

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-location.html

for this side of the pond..

imho, eyelet ends on the wires and drilling the spades on the pucks would extend the life of the wires. better connection = less heat. if you do the spades, a coat of dielectric after making the connection would help shield from O2 that makes it go green and fuzzy. (lots of different metals there.)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:46 AM
MatthiasRex
AutoX

Default The search continues...

Thanks guys- I have had a good search in the passenger side foot well and without success so far (I’ve still got a couple of panel pieces to remove though).

thomasmryan- I had seen that pelican forum entry but had dismissed it as the car seems to be a square dash. To be honest I also very much hoped that I wouldn’t have to dismantle most of the dash and steering column to get to a resistor…. Happy to do so if I have to but I would really appreciate someone confirming that that is the same location for an 89 2.7! Thank you!

matt

Quick Reply: Cooling fan relay and resistor advice