Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop-up headlights gone rogue…

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zogster
So… I made the pop-up problem go away.

I still don't know exactly what the source problem was, but once I'd got about half-way through tidying up stereo/dash/accessory wiring (load of sketchy. branching connections, some going nowhere), the lights just worked as normal again. I guess there was a short of some kind.

Lesson: remove unnecessary complexity ;-)
Don't under estimate the switches ability to to make your life just a little bit more complex. This photo is from my 924S,it had caught fire under the dash and melted. The wiring is just as bad. My suggestion to you if you suspect a short is to look into it further and correct the problem. In general I have found that electrical/mechanical troubles don't fix themselves.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:51 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as it didn't set light to anything else, that may have been a lucky escape! I've become a lot more aware of the fire risks of dodgy or old wiring…

But in other news I FINALLY IDENTIFIED THE SOURCE OF THE HEADLIGHT PROBLEM!

I added an extra boost gauge a few months ago. The wires that run from the centre console to the gauge include power wires, and a wire for the dash/instrument illumination. There was a short between the switched +12V power wire and the lighting wire, because the insulation on the power wires had melted in a couple of places and at one spot had kinda merged into the lighting wire. Obviously drawing too much power at some point, and as it's just a still-fully-functional gauge on the end, I assume there was a *different* short that in turn caused it. So I'll replace the damaged wires tomorrow, and see if that restores balance to the force.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wiring on my Porsche reminds me of the wiring in my TR-7- curse at it and it would work! I'm glad to read that you had found the trouble but definitely give the boost gauge it's own power source-or inline fuse Good luck with your repairs.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:33 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, but you'd expect the wiring in old British sports cars to play up any time the wind's blowing the wrong way ;-) Love the look of the TR7 though

See also Alfa Romeo… I had a 155 V6 for a while, sometime around the turn of the century. Less than 10 years old at the time, but only half of the non-essential electrical stuff ever worked. Much older Porsche = much more reliable.

But yes, the gauge is fused ;-)

On the home stretch now. Everything's working, just need to tidy up and secure loose wires, and put tags on some of 'em to ease future troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: Pop-up headlights gone rogue…