Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Euro spec manual swap question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 02:51 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 1989 Euro spec manual swap question

Hello, I'm new to this forum and don't own a 944 yet. I just found a 1989 Euro spec 944. But its an autotragic. I've read enough to be a little confused about what transmissions will swap into which model and year of car. I need to swap in only type 016J and code ASG or ASH for LSD transaxles. Plus swap the ecu and all the other goodies, pedals, linkage, shifter etc etc . I assume the chances of finding the right type and code is pretty slim and probably a bit of a fools errand? And better to just find a manual in the first place? Any input appreciated . Thx
Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would just wait and find a manual. You could swap it in theory, but it would be a REAL pain. If memory serves me correctly, the exhaust setup is different between an automatic and manual, not to mention you'll have to add/replace clutch, clutch pedal, master cylinder, shifter, shift linkage, etc. etc. and of course the transmission itself. Sometimes I'm tempted to jump the gun on a car, I've been there before, but just be patient my friend, wait for a manual.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:13 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thx for the reply and advise. I kind of know all this I just thought I would ask to see opinions. I work on 80s BMWs and doing a 5spd swap isn't that big of a deal. Its basically the same on the 944, aside from the transaxle location and the coding on the trannies, plus ecu. Engine bay looks tighter. Very sound advice, many thx. I'm off to look at this Euro which I see has has a higher compression engine, 163 HP . Interesting
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by maybeillbuyit
Thx for the reply and advise. I kind of know all this I just thought I would ask to see opinions. I work on 80s BMWs and doing a 5spd swap isn't that big of a deal. Its basically the same on the 944, aside from the transaxle location and the coding on the trannies, plus ecu. Engine bay looks tighter. Very sound advice, many thx. I'm off to look at this Euro which I see has has a higher compression engine, 163 HP . Interesting
Well, if you've done it before then have at it. The Euro is definitely nice version-higher compression, no catalytic convertor, slightly more sporty body style, etc. If you decide to pull the trigger I'd be surprised if you had a hard time finding a transmission, there's plenty of companies and individuals who have parts cars. Unless you're looking for a single code of transmission, you'll have multiple options you could swap in there. Someone with more knowledge on the transmission codes would need to chime in as far as specifics though.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:14 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 271 Posts

Of course, the ecu for the automatic and the ecu for the manual cars are exactly the same.

Quick Reply: 1989 Euro spec manual swap question