Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange oil pressure gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 PM
duffman349
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange oil pressure gauge problem

So I finally got my car back together today, an 83' and something ive never seen or can find anything about is happening with my oil pressure gauge. Now for reference ive had the car hooked up to a mechanical oil pressure tester and it reads a healthy 4.5 to 5 bar pressure at cold, so I know that I am in fact getting good oil pressure, however when I took the sending unit back up it sticks at 1 bar, no lower no higher, and subsequently the oil light in the dash comes on. As I said before the mechanical gauge reads a healthy 4.5 to 5 bar at cold so I'm know I'm getting good pressure, but being a fresh rebuild I need that peace of mind of having a readout while I get through this break in period. Thanks
Old 08-25-2019, 12:05 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman349
So I finally got my car back together today, an 83' and something ive never seen or can find anything about is happening with my oil pressure gauge. Now for reference ive had the car hooked up to a mechanical oil pressure tester and it reads a healthy 4.5 to 5 bar pressure at cold, so I know that I am in fact getting good oil pressure, however when I took the sending unit back up it sticks at 1 bar, no lower no higher, and subsequently the oil light in the dash comes on. As I said before the mechanical gauge reads a healthy 4.5 to 5 bar at cold so I'm know I'm getting good pressure, but being a fresh rebuild I need that peace of mind of having a readout while I get through this break in period. Thanks
If you have factory shop manual, there is a test procedure that has you hook up a variable resistor to provide load for the gauge. If the car specs out on the gauge per the test, simple answer is to get a new pressure sender. That is the most likely scenario.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick test is to remove the sensor, reconnect the leads then use shop air at the small sensor orifice. Set your shop air regulator at 50 psi. Have someone watch the gage for change. Should see > 3 bar.
Best of luck
Old 09-01-2019, 11:00 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I found this
to be of help. The first part concerns testing the water temp sender and gauge but if you jump to around 2:20 it will outline the procedure for oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Strange oil pressure gauge problem