Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 door handle swap - lock body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 968 door handle swap - lock body?

I ordered the parts to do the 968 door handle swap since my 4th junkyard handle broke. Either I'm really hard on these things or they are just really cheaply made. So I figured I would do 968 handles so most of the parts would be new and a bit more sturdy with the wider bases.

I'm trying to assemble them right now and I see how most of it goes together but one thing I can't figure out is what the lock cylinder sits in.

I pulled the lock cylinder out of the old handle and, as I understand it, it clamps between the rosette and the handle body. But what I don't see is a way to remove the lock body that the cylinder sits in and move it over to the new handle body. It looks to be cast into the body of the handle itself.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:50 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

I think some pictures would maybe help.

Here is the 968 handle showing part 44 the lock cylinder with a lock cylinder body that detaches.

Here is a 944 handle that shows that only the cylinder pulls out the front but doesn't show the body of the cylinder that appears to be part of the handle.

I don't see a single one of the companies that offers these 968 swap kits that includes that part so I really hope I'm just doing this wrong. It looks like the lock set for the 968 new is around $250 per side! I never would have done this if I knew it was going to be $400 in handles and $500 for a new lock set. They really sell it as an easy, all-in-one upgrade.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:30 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

It is in fact an easy, $900.00, upgrade.

Seriously, I read about that little, often omitted, fact, and quickly dismissed the idea of using them.

What part of the handle has been breaking on you? The main piece you pull directly on with your hand, or the little fulcrum bit with the rod on it?
Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Ya I'm shocked they don't mention the lock difference on a number of the sites that sell the handle kits. I finally found yesterday after a bunch of searching that you can use 89-91 944S or turbo handle locks so I grabbed a cheap set on Ebay and I'm hoping that it's true so I can save a little bit.

I was thinking about maybe doing the 968 mirrors at some point too but who knows, maybe you have to replace the door, door panel, dash, and muffler just to get them to fit for a grand total of $10,000 all in.

I have had one lever crack off in cold weather, one lock actuation piece broke, the fulcrum bit with the rod broke on one, and most recently the screw that holds it on the car stripped out under minor tightening. Every time I would go to the junk yard I would grab the handles off the 944s if they had them so I have a box of spares. It's cheaper to just replace it with a junkyard handle than to order parts with shipping.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Every time I would go to the junk yard I would grab the handles off the 944s if they had them so I have a box of spares. It's cheaper to just replace it with a junkyard handle than to order parts with shipping.
Some VW's use the same handles. I think Rabbit's. Probably one or two more models I don't know about. They're a bit easier to find in the junk yards.

Quick Reply: 968 door handle swap - lock body?