Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining/grinding noise from transmission when deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019 | 08:42 PM
Derrick9196
AutoX

Default Whining/grinding noise from transmission when deceleration

Hello, everyone.

I just bought my 1985.5 Porsche 944 today, and upon test driving it before I bought it, I didn't hear this noise.

When I'm in either 1st or 2nd gear (maybe others, and I just can't hear it) and decelerate there's a grinding, maybe more of a whining noise, from the transmission. When I'm stationary, and the car is in neutral with the clutch pedal up, the noise is there; it's constant. As soon as you press the clutch pedal down, the noise goes away completely.

I've been searching the forum here for only about an hour, but haven't come across a situation quite like mine.
Someone commented on one thread where if its really humid outside rust can form on the flywheel (I think, if I remember correctly) and that may cause the noise. It's been thunderstorming here all day, ​​​so it has been really humid.

I do have to replace the motor mounts, it vibrates kinda bad on idle, but at around ~1200RPM it completely goes away. It's also a Canadian model, so it has the LSD. To my knowledge all Canadian models came equipped with it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2019 | 09:53 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

All of these cars make a kind of a rattling noise upon deceleration. It is normal.

If you are hearing a kind of whirring noise in neutral with out pushing in the clutch then it is likely your torque tube bearings are getting a little tired.

I’ve heard of people driving their cars for tens of thousands of miles with it like that without any issues other than the sound.

Quick Reply: Whining/grinding noise from transmission when deceleration