Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best access to vacuum source for heater control valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best access to vacuum source for heater control valve?

Replacing my heater control valve, I find that its hard vacuum line is separated from the rubber elbow at the nipple, hidden under a rat's nest of hoses and lines.

How best to reach the nipple at the firewall? If I can reach it, will use LR silicone tubing to connect to the HCV.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

This is a topic that has generated some interest over the years. You can search this forum or go to #6 at How to replace heater control valve
Old 08-04-2019, 12:24 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

need a picture but is it possible to install the control, elbow and hard line, prior to installation? kind like the feed line to the clutch master, the blue hose goes on before you mount the master to the firewall.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by curtisr
This is a topic that has generated some interest over the years. You can search this forum or go to #6 at How to replace heater control valve
Thanks, I'd read that; but it does not cover specifics of how to best get to and replace the rubber elbow at its firewall nipple, i.e., best access to the nipple/elbow providing vacuum to the heater control valve.

I was hoping someone here knew if, say, the coolant hose and tube running along the engine can be removed, so you can reach the firewall nipple. Or whatever works without breaking anything else, or bloodshed. Ideas?
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
Thanks, I'd read that; but it does not cover specifics of how to best get to and replace the rubber elbow at its firewall nipple, i.e., best access to the nipple/elbow providing vacuum to the heater control valve.

I was hoping someone here knew if, say, the coolant hose and tube running along the engine can be removed, so you can reach the firewall nipple. Or whatever works without breaking anything else, or bloodshed. Ideas?
If youre referring to the coolant hard pipe over the headers, yes, that can be removed. That would make room for access to the firewall heater assy. bulk head. Removing the headers would make even more room.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

To answer my own question, removing the two allen bolts holding the coolant hard pipe will let you push that aside, and removing the 10mm bolt holding the diagnostic access port tube will let you push that also aside, for direct access to the two vacuum elbows at their firewall nipples. Just pull the old elbows off, insert new silicone hose of proper lengths as replacements.

Quick Reply: Best access to vacuum source for heater control valve?