Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Re-Wiring, Skipping CD's, Vinyl Dye and Black Carpet that isn't

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Re-Wiring, Skipping CD's, Vinyl Dye and Black Carpet that isn't

Okay, I know the title may seem like a bad game of name that item, but it's my damn car. Lemme lay it all out.

First off - I need to run all new wire's to my speakers. They snap, crackle and pop all the time. I'd like to know how feasible it is to tie new wire at one end and pull it through with the old wire, or if they're fastened a bunch along the way. I have the 10-speaker set up, and I plan on putting in all new rear speakers while I'm there. Also, is there cross-overs in the doors for the front tweaters? Running the wire's from the unit to the back seems easy, but what happens when I run the wire through the boot at the doors?

Second - I don't know why, but my CD player skips like a 5 year-old on her way to school. It will skip on fairly innocuous bumps in the road, and I had the car up over a hundred today and the normal vibrations in the car wouldn't even allow the CD player to play. I've had the center console all apart, everything is bolted in, the CD player is in there as good as the mounts allow...anyone have any suggestions for this?

Third - Vinyl Dye...or something. My doors have what appears to be overspray from a repaint on the car, on my doors. I don't know if it's paint or what, but the vinyl doors need to be....reblackened..., any suggestions?

Fourth - Black carpet that isn't - Well, that exactly it. The rear deck carpet is all faded and I'd like to bring it back to black!

Fifth - This one isn't on the title, but I get a LOT of fresh air in the cabin. One major source of this is from the windshield. Where the windshield meets the a-pillar at the very bottom of the dash, I get air in the corners (both pass and drive side) that blows up on me (and in the winter that's VERY cold). I'm thinking clear silicone or something along the bottom of the windshield will help seal that up, but I dunno.

This list will keep me busy if I get some good suggestions.

TIA
Old 02-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I ran new wires to the rear speakers in an '86 951 I used to own. Basically attached a coat hanger to the wire and pushed it from the speak hole to the sides of the back hatch, then I ran it under the carpet back to the front. I dunno how to do the doors, pushing the wire through the thing that bridges the gap between the door and body will probably be difficult.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you'll get very far using the old wires to pull new wire, there in there pretty good.
The HU might just need a good cleaning, a little dust at the laser will cause what you've described.
Fabric dye should work on the carpet, I don't know it dye will cover the spots on the doors.
Take the car to a windshield place, if a noticable quantity of air is getting in the glue that holds the windshield might be failing. They may be able to remove and remount the glass or something.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Any "good" CD head unit should not skip in any road car. What brand/value? It's clearly mounted properly - so either it's too cheap to bother with or it's defective/dusty like mad. How old is it? Did it EVER work? Did it work properly in another car? Does your car have track suspension that is bone-jarring stiff? (Even then, top-end HU's will deal with most of that).

RK
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

My CD head unit is was a fairly high end Sony at the time it was bought. I have 350# springs and 29mm T-bars in the car, but I had the same setup in my last p-car that this headunit was also in, and it NEVER skipped. I'll clean it (think I already did that) again and see.

Dave - Thanks for that info...didn't know that they used glue down there for that, thought it was just the two mounted bolts for the bottom (I think my last P-car had a similar issue).
Old 02-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Dave
Race Car

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that there's some sort of adhesive across the bottom and possibly the whole way around. I had an older sony up until last november, old enough that it pre-dated most of the anti-skip technology. It skipped a bit but not as bad as yours, OTOH I have stock NA springs and don't even have the koni's set too firm.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:27 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

I noticed that there's a metal tab that is part of the center console frame that sticks out underneath the back corners of the stereo. It's almost like a guide for the stereo to slide between (keeping it from sagging down onto the center cubbie whole). I was wondering if it's bouncing and hitting that metal tab, and if I should put something between the tab and the unit to secure it there...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Zero10
Race Car

My tabs have little rubber boots over them. They were falling apart, so I wrapped them quickly with electrical tape.
It does sound like a dirty lens on the laser to me. My old sony used to do that all the time, and even after 3 cleanings it still skipped. Eventually it got me mad enough that I replaced the unit with a new Alpine.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Hmmm...no rubber boots over mine. I'll also see if I can do something there to make that better.

Also, how about this product for the vinyl die/paint for the doors?

http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy00.asp...1.x=64&I1.y=81
Old 02-19-2004, 02:28 PM
jp944
Pro

Eastwood makes good quality stuff, but I used the $4 PlastiKote vinyl dye you can get at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. If you THOUROUGHLY CLEAN AND DEGREASE the vinyl surface, it looks good and wears well.

jp
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Anyone have any suggestions then on running wire through the boot at the doors? And does anyone know where cross-overs are in the doors?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:05 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by PrerYDoG
Anyone have any suggestions then on running wire through the boot at the doors? And does anyone know where cross-overs are in the doors?
I just put in a stereo and ran wire to front speakers. Had to install crossover which i put behind glove compartment. To snake wire through the boot I first pulled one ind of boot out. pulled boot out from car frame on drivers side and from door on passenger side. Doesn't matter which side you do. Then snaked coat hanger in through opening to the door and attached speaker wire and pulled it back through. then peeled away carpet on side under dash and was able to get fingers in to the opening whee the boot attaches and fish it through. Took some time but not hard to do.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:50 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

So you ran two sets of wires through the boot from the crossover? Is there room in the door to mount a crossover, that way it's closer to the two speakers and only one wire must pass through the boot?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:22 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

The first side i ran 2 wires. While starting the second side i realized that I could double the wire and run it once. Didn't see any room in door for crossover however i didn't look too hard because I think I get water in the door when it rains. Had it out in rain once in really bad storm and door seemed to fill up. One crosover i have behind glove boc and other just velcroed under drivers dash.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Baron009
Pro

I think come spring I'm going to drop in new front speakers and a new head unit. I'm too lazy to try to putting new wiring in, but if the sound quality is still bad after I might try it.

But should I see a decent improvement with new speakers/head unit??? Cause right now I get really staticy sound if I turn the volume up. I'm not looking for the best sound system... I just want to be able to hear the radio over road/car noise on the highway without having static and stuff.

Quick Reply: Speaker Re-Wiring, Skipping CD's, Vinyl Dye and Black Carpet that isn't