Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S update, oh that smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944S update, oh that smell

Just recently finished building and installing a new engine for my 87 S and at last I have a great running leak free car that I plan on getting back on the track with too.

Now now I will try to finally start to track down where the cabin gas smell is coming from. It is most prominent when taking a left turn. I plan on replacing the hatch and tail light seals.
I’ve already done the sender gasket. I get some smell after the car is sitting too but it varies.

I have a gut feeling I’m going to be dropping the tank but it would be nice if o didn’t have too. No gas smell or leaks from outside the car.

I have seen many threads about this but nobody ever posts if they found the cause very often.

Fun times!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

trace the overflow tube at the gas fill spot
Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Remove the cover over the fuel level sender / fuel inlet / return and see if it's bubbling out of cracks around the hose barbs. Move a cool car out into the sun and add some soapy water, it should start bubbling there if this area is a problem.

On one of my cars the fuel caused the lines to deteriorate and turn to goo after it got between the layers of the fuel hose. Not a big deal to replace the rubber. I tried several times to JB weld the barbs but never successfully and my gas gauge was off so I bought a new assembly. That did not fix the gas gauge but it did address the fuel smell.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Thanks for the inputs guys. I have had the cover off before and the smell really does seem to come from there but at least it is all dry.
Today I took a closer look and sniff. I tried the trick Jfrahm suggested but didn't see anything but really the hoses that go from the top breather of the filler pipe to the expansion tank and so on are really kind of toast. The other hoses look brand new.

> I'd like to just use new fuel hose for this instead of buying the expensive Porsche ones...especially since #15 is NLA.

I rocked the car side to side and could get a whiff so I suspect maybe even the expansion tank could be damaged?

The fun part is I have a bolt in roll bar that I'll have to detach in order to get to the expansion tank.

From this pic I should replace 14, 15, and 19 and possibly 1. Anything else will require tank removal (other than fill pipe).
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

You won't see raw fuel on top of the fuel level sender unless the tank is super full. If it's just slightly cracked it'll smell quite a bit though.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
You won't see raw fuel on top of the fuel level sender unless the tank is super full. If it's just slightly cracked it'll smell quite a bit though.
The sender is tight as a drum. It’s the filler breather/expansion tank from the smell of things. Going to replace those first.

Quick Reply: 944S update, oh that smell