Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

---> How do I remove the bell housing?? <---

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004 | 12:16 AM
Charles
Instructor

Question ---> How do I remove the bell housing?? <---

hey guys and girls... =)

I have a little problem...

it seems that I do not understand the steps given by Clarks-garage.com for removing the bell housing on my 1984 NA...

I removed all 4 main bolts and the damn thing seems to be stuck somewhere when I try to pull it off...

In the clarks-garage.com steps it talk about "Remove the clutch release lever retaining bolt (just above the opening in the clutch housing for the starter)"

Could someone show what that release lever looks like or show maybe more detailed steps on how to remove it??

I'm really stuck at this point...

Thanks in advance!!

Charles

Old 02-17-2004 | 12:35 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Did you remove the speed ref. sensors and spacers from the top of the bell housing? Don't ask what i broke when i forgot to remove them...Goodluck!

Erich
Old 02-17-2004 | 12:39 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Charles,

The clutch release fork is held in place by a steel shaft. There is a 6mm bolt with a nut at about 5 o'clock looking at the bell housing from the back of the car. Loosen this nut and bolt. You do not have to take it all the way out. In the end of the steel shaft (to the right of the 6mm bolt) is an 8mm threaded hole. Install a bolt in this hole and pry out the shaft. If you have a small slide hammer that works best. It may be a little tough coming out but once you get it to move you need to take it all the way out.

You also need to lift the speed and referance sensors at the top of the bell housing. This is done from the top. They both have a 6mm bolt retaining each one. Remove the bolts and twist and pull up on the sensors. There is a possibility that you will need to remove the sensor bracket but only do this as a last resort.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:04 AM
Charles
Instructor

Perfect... thanks!!!

It seems that I missed those little bolts and nuts...

and yes I did remove the sensors that were on the bell housing... but thanks for asking...

I'll try doing what you said Chris and I'll just repost if I have any other questions...

Thanks again for your time!! It's VERY apreciated

Charles

Quick Reply: ---> How do I remove the bell housing?? <---