Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with cruise control.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:17 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Question Please help with cruise control.

I'm trying to troubleshoot and repair my cruise control and started with the servo. When I pulled it from the car and opened the top, it looked like this:

When I tried to put the unit back together, I could not get the lid on. What I'm trying figure out is this; When I removed the lid, the rod that holds the action lever came out with it. However, there is a semi-circular guide of some sort on the rod that gets in the way. Visible here:

The only way I can get it go back together is by installing the rod before the large gear seen in the first photo so it looks like this:

I'd appreciate any advice from someone who has worked on this before.

I plan to post pictures of the procedure when I get this together.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Bump. Anyone?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Streckfu,

I've taken this apart myself in the past. The third pic down is the way it is suppose to be put together. You do need to install the shaft before the large gear. If the first pic is really what it looked like when you removed the cover, that was a pretty good trick! LOL. Just be carefull when cleaning inside, the wiper strips can be damaged real easily. Those are really good pictures by the way! If your doing a procedure write up on this, if I may, I would suggest that you mention something like.....when removing the cover, hold the shaft down into the lower part of housing such that shaft does not come up with the cover, and thus out of assembly sequence. (or something like that). The same thing happened to me when I removed the cover, and I also had that spring come out of position too. It took me a bit to figure out how it all went back together! I ended up re-soldering my CC brain also. Everything worked just great!.......for a week or so.....then the CC started acting irratic, where it didn't work at all before! Well, I've got some more work to do to mine yet.......still. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2004, 08:42 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

That is the weird part. I took the pictures so I could put it back together as it should be. The first pic is what I saw when I removed the cover and the shaft came with it. It is also the only way I could figure out how to position the spring. I was seriously stumped for about an hour trying to fugue out how the shaft came out.

The only thing I can think of is; After reading about the spring on Clark's Garage, I was very careful opening the top. I opened the end with the shaft first and opened it like a clamshell. I think the shaft pulled the large gear up and I large gear the large gear still as shaft slipped by. Or something like that.

I do plan to give as much detail in a write up tomorrow after work.

I wish there was a website or someone who coud host these pics so there would be a more permanant record.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:27 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is interested in a servo assemly or the computer boxes, I have one extra servo assemly and 2 boxes.
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com
Old 05-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Streck
Send Clark at Clark's garage the picture of the spring in the cruise servo unit, he stated he would like to have one for his site.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:29 AM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any difference in the speed control boxes between models/years? I have a 87 Turbo and the speed control just quit. Push the lever and it picks up speed great, but that is all that works with it. If it will fit how much do you want for your control box.

Quick Reply: Please help with cruise control.