Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of fuel and parts on the 944 951 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:52 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Robby Thanks that's a lot of info.

The 1986 951 has 21.1 gal gas tank. I think all the cars 86 and up had the 21.1 gal tank. Don't know if they changed in 85.5 or 86.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

No prob- you're more than welcome on the weights- I had a few more wheels weights, but, a lot of them were duplicate wheels- same type wheels, but, dif people- some of the weights of identical ones varied too- I have personally weighed a buch of things myself & plan to weigh a few more as time goes on- I'll keep you informed on whatever I check- I would really like to keep up w/your list too, as I'm really trying to shed a few pounds- I would LOVE to get my car down to <2900lbs- it was 3160lbs stock w/all options, full tank, spare in back, etc... I am [b[]very[/b] picky about the stuff I chose to keep & let go, etc, though, which makes it kind of difficult to lose too many lbs...

As for the tank sizes, I'll check on that b/c I know that someone here, at least one person, said they had a 951 w/smaller tank- it was only ~2 gal, but, they had run it completely empty & had filled it to the rim, etc- then someone said (I think it was a different someone) that they looked in the manual & found that the car had a slightly smaller tank- I really want to say it's '87, but, again, I'm not sure- of course, I guess the person(s) could just be wrong...
Old 02-21-2004, 01:03 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Yea I'll give you the info I have once I get it all together probably take me some time as I don't spend my whole days on it. Hmm the curb weight for the 1986 951 is 2899lbs. I'm still trying to get the right answer on the curb weight. Some say it's full tank with everything oil,washer fluids,coolant (I think this) and others say it's half a tank of gas. Of course I know it's without driver/passenger. Did you weigh your car? If so how/where did you?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Curb weight is often deceptive- I've seen it vary greatly- USUALLY though, it's ~150lbs less than the actual weight- from what I understand, it is a half tank of gas w/out options, etc, but, it can vary by manufacturer as to what it actually includes- it's a pretty worthless weight IMO- the only weght that matters is what you are actually driving- comparing apples to apples is the only way, so I always go w/actual weight, often listed as "test" weight- I want to know the WORST case scenario- ALL options, AC, stereo, SR, PS, FULL tank of gas, etc, w/no driver or passenger, as those weights vary more than anything Racers usually use a HALF tank of gas to corner balance, as that is the closest to average, so that makes plenty of sense... I weighed mine at a local truck scale- the girl at teh counter let me roll it on w/out charging me- she said if I didn't get a print-out, then it didn't matter- she just read it off for me- she told me my weight w/me on the scale w/the car & then w/out me on it- the dif was ~180lbs, which, when I got home to check on the bathroom scale, was dead-on. As for 1986 951's being just <2900lbs, that sounds pretty low to me- the curb weight for these cars was almost ALWAYS listed as 2998lbs- the later Turbo S tests listed higher though- ~3150 - 3200lbs curb- this makes test ~3350 - 3400lbs, which is just not true- I've seen some older tests, like R&T '87 show 3145lbs & MT showed 3150lbs for a Turbo S, etc- I'd have to look for EXACT weights, but, I'm w/in 5lbs... The '86 could have been a touch lighter- No ABS, saves a hair, as does no air bags (I'd LOVE this)- the offset is different as are the spindles- the spindles may be a hair lighter, but, the offset wouldn't help, obviously- the smaller wheels & tires are a tiny bit lighter than that of a Turbo S. IIRC, in '86, the 951 still had no shoulder belts in the rear- that would save ~2-3lbs probably, due to the straps & rollers, misc bolts, etc... OH, btw- the '88 Turbo S is the ONLY year w/split rear seatback- the full 1-piece is heavier than the 2-splits from what I understand... Would a ZF LSD weigh more than a standard Porsche OD? The lack of a SR saves a couple lbs, but that is a RARE option. I LOVE having a SR, although the design of the car makes it hard to enjoy, as it's pretty far back, but, at least it's large- I just finished making some pedal spacers (w/Sparco covers & a spacer for my Momo wheel) to get a hair further back- 20mm for the wheel & the pedals are almost 2" closer- this allows me to sit upright a hair more than normal- if only I could get another 1/2" or so on the steering wheel- that would be nice- would be about the limit w/out it looking silly though- the prob is that the signal switch, etc, are getting too far away- not sure how to fix this- anyone? Anyway, smaller brakes of '86 951, rotors & calipers, would save a couple pounds too, but, most of what I've listed here were the same on later cars, except for the Turbo S- in all, however, I wouldn't believe there to be more than ~40lbs total dif b/t an '89 & an '86 w/LSD, etc... Actually, I think it would probably only be ~25-30lbs- At this point, it would come down to which specific seats one had, OR, if one or the other had the extremely rare factory leather dash (that might add 1lb), etc.... Porsche had some REALLY unique options for these cars- some were really cool... I keep thinking of little things that are worth miniscule amounts, but again, I find it hard to believe a loaded '86 would be more than ~50lbs lighter than a loaded '89, but....
Old 02-21-2004, 02:23 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

The title and owners manual says 2899lbs for curb weight on the 1986 951. I had LSD but besides that don't have anything special. I would love to weigh my car one day. I have removed few items from it like. Cat installed a test pipe in place,radio,speakers,windsheild washer items with tank and also didn't have the engine trays and front bumper lower bumper don't know what it is called it's black and connects to the spoiler.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm planning to remove my windshield washer too- the tubing, pumps, & everything, including the seperate pump for the headlight washers- that's all just extra junk to me- I've already pulled all the fluid out of the resovoir though & that is probabl,y 95% of the weight, unless... did you check that stuff out? Was it more than a couple of pounds? I like the idea of cleaning up thje engine bay a tiny bit more too- those pop-up headlights add a lot too & at the furthest possible point- I wish there was a way to make something lighter that didn't take up as much room- probably would be designed a lot different today, but, I know nothing about that stuff... as for the curb weight- I didn't know it was listed in the manual- that's cool... but, at any rate, the tested cars were always above 3100...

The underbody panels are good to have, really- they are VERY light, & are at the lowest possible points anyway & they really help clean up the underbody & the cars overall Cx- the regular 944 had some of these,from what I uinderstand, & was a .35- the Turbo went to .33 by adding one of them... I think I'm going to start a thread, actually, based on this- I want to make sure ALL of mine are there like they're supposed to be... In any event, it's probably not that noticeable anyway, even w/the reduced Cx, BUT, for me, I guess it's more psychological... I think in terms of C5 Vettes & some Audis, etc, running .29's, etc- I think there are one or two street cars w/~.27 now, actually, so the 951 really isn't that great- pretty mediocre, comparably- remove all those underbody panels & it gets worse- the dif HAS to add up eventually- new M3's are like .32 & an M5 is .31 IIRC- late 80's GTi 16v was .36 & 16v Scirocco was .38. 4.9L Mustang LX was .36 & GT was .38. Honda CRX Si was .30 & HF was .29 (dif was with of tires from what I understand, but, I didn't really think of that as effecting Cx- frontal area, sure, but....)- VR6 Corrado was .32. New Infinity G35 Coupe is like .27 I think- that's about as good as it get's for decent cars- I think econoboxes w/tiny tires, etc are easier to get low #'s... I've got a list somewhere of many cars & their Cx & FA's- 911's run the gambit from ~.30 to .50 or so... Newest 996 is .30 or .31- 959 was .32 IIRC... 993 was .32 I think.... etc.... F40 was .34- of course, you didn't ask for this book, but...

Quick Reply: Weight of fuel and parts on the 944 951 cars?