Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuild power steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:21 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Hmm, the seal in the end of the long tube.
I used a (I think) 17mm socket to pound the seal out from the outside, I tried everything else I could think of, and that's how I broke the plastic ring, but if you have a new one, then it's the perfect way to get it out!

Now, I don't know if you guys are criticizing me for my swearing or my 'lol', but either way, I'm sorry! I will try not to abbreviate, and to keep my cursing to a minimum. But in all fairness, I was quite peeved when after spending so much time combing the city, I discover rennbay can get the rings. =)
Judging from Pearceman3's response, it was not the swearing that offended him, but I really do not appreciate having my eyes threatened. I do not need a black one, and I would appreciate it if you kept your threats off this board. I know you're only 17, so you have much growing up to do.
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:33 AM
slang
Advanced

Wink retrofit power steering?

Just wondering here ... I've got an '83 944 without power steering. However, it seems to have the bracket for the PS reservoir.

I also have the entire steering system off a '85/1 944. Will this system simply bolt up to my '83? Should I rebuild it before installing it, or check to make sure it works first? The '85 system has been in storage for a few years. Will I need a new reservoir and hoses (expensive)?

BTW, the steering gear on my '83 has a worn spot, which will not allow the shop to align the car correctly. The steering wheel has a little play (difficult to tell with all the effort required to turn). I have not seen any "rebuilt" manual steering gears, and it seems a new one was $$$$.

Opinions welcome.

. . . Steve
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:45 AM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Zero10
Hmm, the seal in the end of the long tube.
Judging from Pearceman3's response, it was not the swearing that offended him, but I really do not appreciate having my eyes threatened. I do not need a black one, and I would appreciate it if you kept your threats off this board. I know you're only 17, so you have much growing up to do.
Why dont you grow up...and ill say whatever i want #1 i dont respect you at all after what you said #2 it would mean alot more when you say "i would appreciate it if you kept your threats off this board" if you were actually a member here
Old 02-17-2004 | 12:36 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Zero10
But in all fairness, I was quite peeved when after spending so much time combing the city, I discover rennbay can get the rings. =)
I dont "get" the rings, I made tooling and injection mold new rings. Thats why I can safely say NO ONE else has them.

and Pearceman,
Your just ticked because someone gave you a hard time about language in another thread. If there is a problem with a thread, be it language or content, please just send it over to John D. for inspection. Then he can tell you to A) Grow up, or B) Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:09 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Default install

Steve - all cars came with the bracket, even if they didnt have it (just easier/cheaper to manufacture this way). if you don't want your manual steering rack, i'll give you $100 for it. the power should bolt right up, but you may have to drill a couple holes in the crossmember to get attatchment points for the high-pressure hardlines. you'll need the bushings from the power rack as well.

if you have any questions don't hesitate to email me

ERAU944@hotmail.com

-Michael-
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:09 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Default install

oops, double post
Old 02-17-2004 | 05:42 PM
gratian
Racer

Default I rebuilt it!

Yes guys,I have to rebuilt steeringrack myself 4 years ago,and it works fine sine 3 ian this year, when i destroy the pump(crash)
It cost me about 10 $,yes, only 10 and thats because I buy semerings myself from a normal auto store,I make myself the "teflon" bushing in there(sorry but I don't know all terms in english...)even I rebuilt the shaft.
I can say its a simle task,if you have the right tools.
Old 02-18-2004 | 02:30 AM
slang
Advanced

Jim,

Thanks for the info. IF I get around to digging the power steering components out of storage and get them successfully installed, I might just sell the old manual rack.

I saved your post

. . . Steve
Old 09-12-2007 | 11:59 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Good write up!

Just before I left Tahoe my pump started groaning so I topped it off, upon return to SD the same thing and my 993 barrels were gunked up, WTH? Pull the boots back and sure enough, both sides cut loose at the same time, I'm not too sure how common this is.

And yes Travis, my kit has the neeto back up rings.

One question, can I use polyvinyl aquarium tubing for the air equalizing line?

I especially got a laugh out of the kid that was offended by profanity and threatened physical violence in return, that was classic!
Old 09-13-2007 | 06:05 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Wow, way to bring up old wounds.
Now I want to punch pearceman3 in the eye but I'm not sure why!
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:41 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Just demonstrating the value of using the search function, buster!

BTW, you came out of this thread squeeky clean.

Quick Reply: rebuild power steering rack?