Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I need valve cover gasket / timing belt project help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 07:28 AM
JScottie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I need valve cover gasket / timing belt project help

I recently purchased an '83 944 with 106k miles on it. I have no idea when the last time the timing belt was replaced. I figure I'm running on borrowed time. Oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold when the engine is revved higher than 4k or so. I'm pretty sure that the valve cover, or cam housing needs a new gasket. I assumed this would be an easy replacement, however, since its not a cover, but a housing, it requires the removal of quite a bit of engine componentry (instructions by haynes manual) including the timing belt(s). It makes since to replace the belts as well. I understand this is quite an involved undertaking and many people replace things such as water and oil pumps and seals etc. I don't have alot of time; I need to know the minimum number of parts that I should replace while the front cover is off. Any wisdom that rennlisters could lend to a Porsche newbie in regards to maintenience tips would be much appreciated. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

On another note, the gasket replacement also requires the removal of the fuel rail. Since I gotta get this thing smogged in the next coupla weeks, I want to soak the injectors to clean them. How should I go about this, and what solution should I use?

Some parting questions: the previous owners (1 or 2 degrees back) jacked up alot of the wiring. It looks like the half-assed de installation of an alarm system. There are a few fried wires in the dash (which doesn't work cept for the gas gauge and couple of indicator lights) - two brown wires coming from the rear window defrost and a red/blu wire coming out from the tach. I plan on rewiring, but any thoughts would be helpful. Ok last one - is there any reason why anybody would choose to route constant power to the coil - even when the ignition is off and key is out? Right now I have a kill switch wired into the cab. I know, sounds ghetto, but you would be willing to work around these things too if you knew the paltry sum I paid for the car.

Thanks again rennlisters! Oh, and depending on how things work out, I might be able to swing by the bay area get together today.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Should come in very handy for you. Just check the garage shop manual link.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The injectors are easy. Take a garden sprayer (the type you pump up) and get a rubber hose the proper size to fit on the end of the injector. Put carb cleaner in it (from the gallon size can). To fire the injectors, get a 9v battery, and it is helpful to get a little harness that will snap onto the 9v battery so you dont have to try and hold the wires there. For the injector side of it, we actually used the connector off of a old wiring harness so we wouldnt have to hold the wires to the injector easy. Put a button switch inbetween the two. So you will have 9v battery inline with a switch, then running to the injector electrical connector. Pump up the sprayer, push the button to give power to the injector and it will spray the cleaner right through it. Easiest to have two people to do this. As far as what you have to replace for the engine would be the cam cover gasket, timing and balance shaft belts and that should be about it. You will want to check the rollers when you get in there, most people replace them while they are in there for the belts.

Quick Reply: Ok, I need valve cover gasket / timing belt project help