Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:59 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

I just bought some new Otto Euro clear headlights with h4 xenon gas charged bulbs from Procarparts.
When I removed my original Hella H4 light I found I needed to transfer the headlight mounting/adjusting frame. It doesn't look like I can remove it without damaging the original light. Am I missing something here or do I just need to use more force?

Regards
Peter
Old 02-15-2004, 11:57 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, that is strange, I've never seen that type of mounting configuration on a 944.

The 7"/178mm round headlight lens that our cars use has had a standard configuration for decades, I think it pre-dates WWII. The back of the lens/reflector is clean of mounting bits and there should be 3 alignment tabs on the exterior diameter of the lens. Then you place the lens into the headlight mounting frame, the little tabs line up where the lens should rest, and you screw on a retaining ring over the lens into the mounting frame to hold things in place. The mounting frame contains the two adjustment screws for headlight aiming. This mounting frame is part of the car's headlight bucket.

Maybe if you take some better closeup pictures of what you have we can at least understand your problem better.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:24 AM
PCMAX
Racer

100 "views" and only 1 reply.
BUMP!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get us a picture looking from the front, the face of the lense?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Peter, the reason you are not getting many replies is no one has seen such a goofy arrangement as you describe and picture.

Porsche had different accessories/functions for the cars going to different markets but the only thing they ever did with the headlighs, as far as I know, was to change the lens beam pattern between DOT and E-Code and right and left hand lane driving. But the lenses themselves mounted up to the headlight bucket the same and you wouldn't be able to tell the differences with a casual glance at the headlight lens.

I don't know what else to tell you other than go to a local shop and ask them what the heck the old lenses are. And then go to a parts breaker and get the headlight bucket bits for mounting a normal 7" round headlight lens.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:43 AM
snakepliskin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yo PC MAX,

I have that same kit from procar parts. They mount using the same factory hardware as any other headlight on the 944. ie. there should be an outside bezel that secures the lens to the car.

From the description of your parts, here is the order that I would install...

The adjustment frame should be attached to the car. Then place the lens in the frame, and finally, the bezel goes around the lens and screws to the adjustment frame.

FWIW, here is some experience with these lenses; they are not tempered glass and break easy. Be carefull not to over tighten them or drop them! Also, there is no "beam pattern" on the lens, so aiming is a bit difficult.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 PM
PCMAX
Racer

Thanks for the replies, I will try to remove them on the weekend as suggested by Mike. I think the bezel may come off but it sure looks stuck on the light very firmly.
While i'm doing hat I will take some more photos and post them for Ice Shark & Danno.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
PCMAX
Racer

I have some more pics of the light set up. Ice shark mentioned my setup way way different to the standard US 944 headlight, can someone post a pic of a US light?
I think I might have bought a dud & its a bit hard to return goods from 10,000 miles away.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:07 PM
PCMAX
Racer

The headlight receptacle.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:08 PM
PCMAX
Racer

one more of the attaching hardware
Old 03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Word of quick advice, not to be taken in any sort of offense, but .. when it comes to headlights .. we listen to IceShark
Old 03-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Red 944
Word of quick advice, not to be taken in any sort of offense, but .. when it comes to headlights .. we listen to IceShark
I concur.. I NEED the Iceshark kit!! It's coming..
Old 03-06-2004, 10:52 PM
PCMAX
Racer

If Iceshark is the headlight guru, & I have no reason to believe he isn't then can someone post a picture of the headlight installation setup I should have.
I have only owned the car for 6 months & as far as I know I have a standard (Australian delivered) 944 with standard a Hella H4 headlight installation.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:25 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, now I think I sort of understand your problem. It looks like you have removed the normal headlight mounting and adjustment hardware which should remain attached to the headlight bucket (headlight receptacle). I can see the aiming adjustment screws and springs in your picture. Though I'm not totally sure you have the normal hardware.

But where is the outside bezel ring that secures the lens to the housing hardware? There are 3 tabs with screws and I should see at least one of them from your topside view and I don't. You haven't posted a full frontal face view and we should see the bezel ring and all 3 attachment screws.

Ok, here is what to do. You need the exploded view of the headlight bucket from the PET so we have a common reference point. Maybe someone can dig that up and post, my CD crashed and I can't read anything. Or else hook up with Rennlister Glen C. who is also in Sydney. I sold him some parts and he has a couple 944s you could take a look at to see what is "normal". And have a few beers.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

this one or the one with the buckets?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Headlights